Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I got the first of my CMP 40X's from a dealer thats been sitting on them for sometime. This one's wood is a but rough but can be repaired and refinished to a nice stock. The barrel, action and bold are in pristine shape even if the numbers on the bold and action don't match. I am going to get me one more from him but it will cost me a lot more probably. I got this for 500.00. I am guessing the next one will be more like 600.00, albeit still reasonable for this kind of rifle. Would you guys move one into a Baker Special McMillan stock that is set up for ADL configuration. Should be just the ticket to milk the accuracy from one after she is pillar bedded.

· Registered
3 Posts
I've got one from the CMP last summer and love it with all its warts. I topped it with a Viani rail (http://personal.swayzee.com/jayb/Viani/) and a Tasco 6-24x40 Target & Varmint scope. She sure is a nail driver. I play with it for small bore silhouette shooting and have tons of fun competing next to Anschultz and other more expensive rifles.

I chose to keep the original stock on her but could never figure out how to use the hand stop - too far forward for off-hand shooting.

A couple of weeks ago, she was printing sub-inch groups at 50 yrds.

I have to spend some more quality time with her later this summer.

· Registered
664 Posts
I know the CMP game

I've been through this with the CMP. Deal is if you belong to a club that has juniors that is registered with the CMP you get first chance at the rifles. I think these guys buy as many as the CMP will sell them, They pick the best to keep, then sell the rest at gunshows and on line. CMP doest care, as long as they sell the rifles. I had my heart set on a 40x standard barrel for Silhouette shooting. Ended up with the Heavy barrel because the former was sold before I was allowed to buy. Too heavy for the game. Had to buy a standard barreled action then paid more for a bolt separately.

· Registered
733 Posts
Hi PDWIGHT. Actually,its not just dealers who do this,nor is it limited to the 40X. The CMP Winchester M52,s had the same thing happen to them also. Private buyers,who could afford it bought as many as they could,knowing full well that when the CMP guns dried up,it would not take long for the market to escalate. This the main reason that I {unfortunatly} have neither of these guns. I agree with you that sales should be limited,one to a customer. At least if they did,more folks could afford one.Oh well,I guess these are just a couple of guns that wont be finding their way to my collection.Brian.

· Registered
1,239 Posts
This thread is proof positive that the CMP $600 Kimbers are overpriced, as the dealers would have bought them up a long time ago too, if the price was right. The paperwork that comes with each and every CMP rifle clearly states 'Not for Commercial Resale', but the CMP will not pursue the issue when the unscrupulous buyers of multiple rifles turn them around for a big profit, as they are interested in the money, not the shooting sports. :mad:

· Registered
733 Posts
Hi BOBD. One big diference regarding the KIMBERS. They have not reached the status of a "COLLECTOR" firearm. At least not to any degree worth mentioning. Thats not meant to be derogatory in any way. Its just that when a firearm becomes of interest to the "COLLECTOR" community,as well as the shooting community,the price will escalate substantially. Kimber makes a very nice gun,but it has a long way to go before it begins to approach the M52 and the 40X in desireability by the masses. You are not likely to find a bunch of folks gathered around the "KIMBER" table at a local gun show.The guys that buy CMP guns,strictly for profit,most likely wont be buying these up at the same rate as the others mentioned. Brian.

· Registered
429 Posts
I have to agree with Brian. I seriously doubt that there's much profit. You have folks that will gamble on anything in order to make a buck.

The Kimber isn't terrifically popular. It dosen't have the mass appeal that the 52's and 40X's have. It's also interesting to see the auction sites and the prices that folks are tring to get. CMP sells the Kimber right now for $600 + the 20.95 for shipping. It is complete and it does shoot very well, it's a ten ring gun. What's left of the 40X's is a real crap shoot, a stripped receiver and barrel of questionable use. Assembling the necessary components to make it shoot will cost much more than the 82G. Then you have the H&R M12's for $225 + shipping. No sights, well broken in and a butt-ugly tree stump that seems it's been run over a few times. However, that rifle will also shoot too!

I bought my 82G and M12 from CMP because there wasn't a better deal from my point of my view. I also compete in 22 BR and like to shoot something different than the rest of the group. It's fun, to use an 'ugly stick' and score better than some folks shooting the real 'pretty' and expensive custom rifles (no disrespect intended).

While I'd like to have a nice 40X, I want it complete and not as a parts gun that someone cobbled together.

Sometimes we tend to forget that when we see something that we want, logic sometimes makes a quick exit (anyone married?). If you really want 'it' enough, you will pay the price! :D

· Registered
1,239 Posts
I don't know of anyone who bought a CMP 40X, or CMP 52C or D solely as a collector rifle. They are shooting them because they are great shooters. In fact, most will outshoot the much newer CMP Kimber 82. The CMP 40X's and CMP 52's that I see at the gun shows in Atlanta have price tags at least twice that of the original CMP price of $350'ish last year. That is not the intent of the CMP program, and honest guys are being gouged by these dealers that handpicked rifles by a willing CMP. :mad: The $600 Kimbers, if they would shoot like the 40X or 52, would sell, but they don't and they won't sell very fast. I was lucky enough to get 2 40X barrelled actions at $275 each, and had to find stocks, action screws, and trigger guards, which made them $400'ish rifles, but they both shoot great.

· Registered
142 Posts
82g, 40x, 52b,c,d,

THIS IS NOT APPLES AND APPLES......THE KIMBER 82G DOES NOT SHOOT WITH THE 40X's OR 52's CONSISTENTLY BECAUSE IT WAS NOT DESIGNED TO.......THE REMINGTON AND WINCHESTER RIFLES WERE DESIGNED AS HIGH END SERIOUS TARGET RIFLES AND DO THAT VERY WELL......THE KIMBER WAS DESIGNED AS AN ENTRY LEVEL MILITARY TRAINER AND SHOOTS TO THAT LEVEL VERY WELL, AND IN FACT WITH THE RIGHT AMMO WILL EXCEED THAT LEVEL HANDILY.......WHEN USED FOR THE PURPOSE FOR WHICH IT WAS INTENDED IT IS WELL WORTH $600.......IF YOU CAN FIND A RESPECTABLE 40X OR 52 THAT OUTSHOOTS THE KIMBER 82G FOR $600 OR LESS, YOU BETTER GRAB IT QUICK THEN GO BUY A LOTTERY TICKET IMMEDIATELY.

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Guys this is my thread and I didn't mean to even implicate the dealer was selling them at high prices. Hell you can't even buy a Remmy 700 action for less than 400 in the box when Brownell's carried them. I just wanted .22's that were man-sized and the 40x and the 52's fit the bill. I just happen to be a Remington man and stayed with the 40x when I found them. I am going to buy one more from the same dealer if I can work a deal anyone here that wants one..I will see how many he has, what variant and how much he wants for them.

· Registered
733 Posts
Thanks for saying that before I could PDWIGHT. Somehow,I think that SOMEONES scope is slightly limited. I am in touch with several collectors who own,or wish they could afford the overblown pricetagged CMP 40x and 52s. Of those who do own them,they did not pay overinflated prices. Many of these guys shoot these guns on occasion. However,most are not shot in matches, just for fun. I have yet to hear any of these guys expressing any interest in the Kimber. As for a M52,there are usually some to be found at the 600.00 price level. They are generally not pristine for that kind of money,but they are generally in pretty good shape. You have to remember that many of these go back many years earlier than the Kimber. I am not putting the Kimber down here,but I have a 1930,s, M52 that I bought for slightly more than 500.00 ,and I think the Kimber would be hard pressed to match it in several areas. I dont think the Kimber is as accurate,at least not in the hands of a average shooter.The M52 is certainly a more gracefull style,and there is no question in my mind which will have the highest pricetag in 10-20 years. Of course,these are my opinions,and are based on many years as a collector,not as a match shooter.The bottom line here is if someone wants the 600.00 Kimber,then they should buy one. Brian.

· Registered
1,239 Posts
would this be considered whispering IF THIS IS CONSIDERED SHOUTING? :rolleyes: I can read either text equally well, without reading something extraneous into the original content of the message. :eek: The content of the man's message was good whether it was all caps or whatever.

· Registered
7,290 Posts
Pdwight said:
And I was not trying to be a forum Nazi, but those rules are posted or were at one time on here. I was just echoing standard forum manners. You know we folks here in the south like to keep out manners ;)

Dwight P
Was that a Freudien slip ("keep out manners")?? :D :D

· Registered
429 Posts
It was probably my fault because I mentioned the Kimber 82G.

I collect guns and have some Remingtons and I shoot guns and some of those are also Remingtons. I also compete and not all of my competition irons are Remington (some are).

If we are discussing collectable, I will maintain that neither a Rem 40x nor Win 52 parts gun is collectable. Additionally, a parts gun is not likely to be more accurate than a brand new Kimber 82G, most likely it will not. 52's and 40x's have been and are the basis of custom rifles that happen to be very competitive. However, that is after the expense of stocks, triggers, barrels and tuners.

Whether or not the Kimber ever meets collecter status is irevelent to me.

The Kimber was designed and acquired for competitive marksmanship, not basic marksmanship training (boot camp). The 82G as I said before will hold the ten ring, that makes it very competitive in performance and at $600 it's competitive in price. 40X's and 52's that haven't been abused can do the same. But a parts gun is still a crap shoot no matter what it's roots happen to be.

I am biased for price and performance, not brands and hope that dosen't hurt any personalities. :angel:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.