Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
  • Beware of Scammers! Does it sound too good to be true? New user has just what you were looking for? Don't get scammed! When in doubt, use escrow.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been a longtime fan and user of Leupold rifle scopes, both rimfire and centerfire. So I felt honored when The Optic Zone http://www.theopticzone.com/ asked me to review a new scope and compare it with a Leupold I had recently purchased from them.

The new scope was the Clearidge Ultra RM http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=4175 introduced by Clearidge Optics and The Optic Zone.

The Leupold scope was the Leupold VX-II Rimfire EFR, model #58710 http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=3127

I was a bit skeptical and very doubtful as to the performance of yet another "new" riflescope.

I was in for a big surprise. The Ultra RM is packed in an attractive carton with lenses covers in place. The finish of this scope is equal to finish of the Leupold in every way. Both scopes have positive click adjustments for windage and elevation. Both scopes have 1/4 MOA adjustments. However, the finger adjustable turrets on the Ultra RM are a big advantage over the coin slots on the Leupold. Especially when wearing gloves.

The power selector ring on the Ultra RM is smooth and easier to adjust than the smaller selector ring of the Leupold. Here again; especially when wearing gloves. It should be noted here that both scopes were mounted on CZ 452 Lux stocked rifles utilizing Talley #22CZRL low rings. While the power selector ring on the Ultra RM is larger than that found on the Leupold, there was no bolt/scope interference on either setup. I also found the Ultra RM easier to focus than the fast focus feature of the Leupold.

The Duplex reticle of the Ultra RM is preferable to the fine duplex on the Leupold when hunting and caused no problems when target shooting through the power range.

I found the clarity and brightness of both scopes to be equal, with neither exhibiting any flare or fading through the power range. Resolution of the Ultra RM is equal to the Leupold, using the USAF resolution chart.

The AO adjustment ring on the Ultra RM is firm and operates smoothly. Close focus is listed as 10 yds. on the Ultra RM and 10 meters on the Leupold. I found the Ultra RM to actually focus to 20 feet and the Leupold to focus down to 27 feet.

Eye relief range on the Ultra RM is better to me than the Leupold.

Repeatability and tracking of both scopes was without flaw. These tests were done at a range of 25 yards in increments from four inches down to one inch.

In summation, I find the Clearidge Ultra RM scope to be the equal of the Leupold VX-II Rimfire EFR. Given the price difference the Clearidge product is the better value. You can purchase this one with confidence.:t

· Registered
1,551 Posts
A pic of the scope on a rifle would give you a good idea of the size and proportions of the scope. Not just the straight side by shot either. It looks like the scopes on the website are computer generated images of what the scope should look like instead of the actual scopes themselves. I could be wrong though?

Chunckchucker

· Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Coldbeerchief; I don't own the scope you ask about. But I'll check it against some other 3-9's I do have.

Chunckchucker I'll get some pics posted on Saturday.

Sorry for the delay, but I'm headed for KC and won't be back until dark thirty tonight (Friday).

Thanks Steinie. Sorry I couldn't save you some cake. But this scope would really enhance one of those Annie's:D

· Registered
63 Posts
Yes the pictures on the website are CAD generated. Those were the only pictures that we had at the time that we built the website. I will try and get some better pictures up on the site. Actually I kind of surprised that people are worried about the pictures on the website compared to actually talking about the review and having some dialog how the scope performed to a well known scope such as the Leupold VX-II EFR. You look at many other manufactures such as Leupold, Nikon, Burris and others, the pictures are not actually "live" pictures of their products.

Anyways, I will see if I can come up with some better pictures. Thanks for the advice.

Jon Jackoviak
Clearidge Optics
www.clearidgeoptics.com
[email protected]

· Registered
8 Posts
In summation, I find the Clearidge Ultra RM scope to be the equal of the Leupold VX-II Rimfire EFR. Given the price difference the Clearidge product is the better value. You can purchase this one with confidence.:t
I'm in the market for some new glass for a 93 build-up I am working on but under close examination of this line noticed the warranty on these scopes doesnt transfer to a new owner like almost all the other brands so I dont know how you claim there are a better value? Without a transferable warranty, the re-sale value drops considerably, unlike a Leupold..

You will re-coupe the extra money (and then some) when you re-sell a Leupold

I'll stick with a Leupold.

BT

· Registered
1,898 Posts
Why would you be worried about selling a scope when it is so good :confused: I think I would just keep it.

Better yet why would you buy a scope if you planned on selling it :confused:

· Registered
1,061 Posts
I think the answer to the question is in the for sale section of this site. I personally don't plan on selling any part of the collection I have but a lot of shooters on this site do and do it a lot. So I would think that it is very important to be able to sell something you own or to buy from someone else and know that product is covered by warranty otherwise you are inviting risk. I certainly wouldn't want to have to be sure I kept my receipt either. I usually buy Luepold and most likely will continue.

I recommended my dad buy a swift for his T/C classic and he has been very happy with it. I have also bought one 4200 elite and other than the overall size of the scope I have been very happy with it.

This new scope being offered also seems very nice but I think I will stick with the 3x9 EFR and know if anything ever happens to it while I own it or one of my children it will always be covered by warranty.

· Vendor
685 Posts
I'm in the market for some new glass for a 93 build-up I am working on but under close examination of this line noticed the warranty on these scopes doesnt transfer to a new owner like almost all the other brands so I dont know how you claim there are a better value? Without a transferable warranty, the re-sale value drops considerably, unlike a Leupold..

You will re-coupe the extra money (and then some) when you re-sell a Leupold

I'll stick with a Leupold.

BT
Just a few questions about your statement.

First, "You will recoupe the extra money (and then some) when you re-sell a Leupold". Does that mean that when you sell the scope, you expect to get more for the scoep than what you paid for it?

Second, this is an example one. Say you did purchase one of the Ultra RM scopes at the Rimfirecentral promotional price. After 1, 2, 3 years down the road and you decided to sell that scope, do you think that you would be able to get at least $50.00 out of to scope?

Third, so you are saying that you would pay $75, $100 or more for a scope that has a transferrable warranty, no matter of ownership?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.