Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do the clear Ruger rotory mags hold up as well as the black ones? I don't imagine their made from the same material. Not having any I'm worried that they might be more prone to cracking, they have that clear brittle plastic look to them. The reason I ask is I'm building a 17m2 and was wanting an easy way to keep the mags seperate.
Bill :silly:

P.S.........is it magazine or magizine? :coco: I'm too tired to find my dictionary!

·
Registered
21,547 Posts
aces,

dont know if those plastic MAGAZINES are any more sturdy than the black ones, but you have a heck of an idea. i use brake cleaner on my black ones and dont know how that would affect the see thrus. good question. why dont you get one and run it thru the wringer and give us a report.

·
Registered
668 Posts
mine have held up as good as any of the black ones i have shot. i dont use any hard cleaners so i dont know how things like brake cleaner would do to em? mine have no cracks and are not anything like like the cheap plastics on other aftermarket mags...these are thicker and stonger. i dont know how ruger did it but they just took the black out of em.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys, I'm just going to buy some. I figure if they weren't up to par you guys would know about it. I just want to avoid a mix up, I can't imagine that launching a .17m2 out of my 10/22 .22lr is a good idea.
Bill

·
Registered
2,605 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Break cleaner might cause the clear to become hazy. It's possible they're both made of the same material. Dye can be added to plastic.

As for the long term durability issue, they just haven't been around long enough to know. I really doubt there would be any issues though. The properties and durabilities of many synthetics aren't a mystery in this day and age.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Along with everything said, if they only lasted a year ( I imagine they would last much longer) you would still get your money out of them at around $13. I guess we don't think how lucky we are that we can just pick up a ruger rotary 10 round mag for under $20

·
Registered
674 Posts
Ace's High said:
I can't imagine that launching a .17m2 out of my 10/22 .22lr is a good idea.
Bill
I don't think firing the 17 in a 22LR barrel would be a problem, they both headspace on the rim and the 17 is a smaller diameter. Now, firing the 22LR in a 17 barrel could be bad news if it would chamber! :eek:

Your idea of using two different magazines is a very good one.

Also, this is much easier than finding a dictionary.......

http://www.m-w.com/

Thanks
Gary

·
Registered
15 Posts
Head down to your local stationary store and get some coloured dots. Then stick them to the sides of your mags. Thats what I've done.

Now all I got to do is remember which colour I used for .22 and .17.

I've found that the clear mags go smoky after a while. I haven't cleaned any of mine yet, but don't expect them to return to 'factory' clear when I do.

Figured that the clear mag was more a novelty, don't like the idea of turning my loaded rifle upside down to count the rounds in the mag - its not a good look.
(can always remove the mag if its that important, counting the trigger pulls is just as easy)

·
Registered
836 Posts
I don't have any but I imagine they're made from some sort of Nylon material. Remember if the need to be made with economics in mind then to use that fancy Celcon material might be too expensive. Besides they work and last longer than those off brand high capacity magazines that are junk.

wmrimfire,22

·
Registered
21,547 Posts
if my memory serves me right, ha, ha, ha, the see thrus came out on the 40th
anniversary rugers.

e-bay has them once in a while. still think it's a good idea to keep lr and hm2 seperated.. have diff ammo boxes ( large pistol cases ) for each ammo, but, lol, only one staple gun, sooooooooo...........

·
Registered
436 Posts
i have a bunch of the clear ones and they have a few thousand rounds throught he each of them with no cleaning/maintenance beside the mag trick and they function flawlessly!

not a single problem with any of them, they are still clear too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.