Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has probably been discussed ad nauseum in the past; however, being relatively new to here, I'll ask it anyhow.

I'v always believed cleanliness is next to accuracy, especially for center fires. Many of my rimfire buddies never clean thier barrels. Says it doesn't matter, nor will it affect accuracy. Comments, please.
Mike in Mesa

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Jaywalker said:
Lots and lots of comments. If you try hard, you may be able to find two people who agree with one another... ;)

Jaywalker
I hear you, but I seriously doubt it..
Don
Edit: On second thought, the only sensible advice I can think of is, don't read all of that crap. You'll get goofy with it. Call Steve Moore and Neil Johnson. Those two guys are the east coast and west coast Anschutz Service Center reps for Deiter Anschutz. Ask them how to clean, and follow what they say. If you try to make sense out of what's been posted here in the past, you'll be in a nut house till you're done.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Follow what anschutz recommends for their rifle. Patch worm thing for every day cleaning, then a brush with oil after 1000+ rounds. NEVER ANY CLEANING SOLVENTS.

personally I do this, cept replace the brush with a jag.

Kroil is the best imho.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'll polish the turd.....

and give you my $0.02 worth: I bought a boresnake and really want it to last so I don't use it (one pass only) until I've fired 500-1,000 rounds. Solvent I reserve for my centerfire rifles with jacketed bullets. A JAG is a freakin' lawyer, military type. Patches I use to keep my skivvies from hangin' outa my jeans....If you've got the crud out of the action (oily rag) and wiped the fingerprints off, you're done. Don't forget the magazine. They rust too.:D

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
LOL...... :)

I was gonna stay outta this, but can't resist....
From my Annie 54.18 manual.........

Regular care after every shooting:
-Remove any residue from the barrel. Clean with lint-free cloth or pull cleaning cords several times thru barrel.
-Subsequently pull a slightly oiled lint-free cloth or cleaning cord thru the barrel to avoid corrosion.
-Clean the bolt with a slightly oiled cloth.
-Make sure that the metal parts of your rifle are protected against corrosion by a slight oil film.
-Remove the oil film from the barrel with a dry cloth or cleaning cord before you shoot again.

Careful Cleaning
-New rifles up to 10,000 shots in 1,000 shot intervals, subsequently in 5,000 shot intervals at least after that.
-Use oil to clean the barrel and push a brass brush from the chamber to the muzzle. Never move the brush back and forth in the barrel. Only clean in shooting direction. Remove the brush outside the muzzle and carefully pull the rod back thru the barrel.
-Then pull cleaning cords in dry condition thru the barrel until the last one shows no considerable dirt.
-Before shooting the next time, fire 5 shots to get back to the former shooting performance.
-Clean external parts with slightly oiled cloth.

Sounds pretty basic to me. :)

I don't use the brass brush though, just a bore snake with the brush still in it when it gets to 1 or 5 thousand round intervals. :) PatchWorm or Otis pull-thru with dry and oiled patches the rest of the time. That's it. :)

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
steinie said:
LOL...... :)

I was gonna stay outta this, but can't resist....
From my Annie 54.18 manual.........

Regular care after every shooting:
-Remove any residue from the barrel. Clean with lint-free cloth or pull cleaning cords several times thru barrel.
-Subsequently pull a slightly oiled lint-free cloth or cleaning cord thru the barrel to avoid corrosion.
-Clean the bolt with a slightly oiled cloth.
-Make sure that the metal parts of your rifle are protected against corrosion by a slight oil film.
-Remove the oil film from the barrel with a dry cloth or cleaning cord before you shoot again.

Careful Cleaning
-New rifles up to 10,000 shots in 1,000 shot intervals, subsequently in 5,000 shot intervals at least after that.
-Use oil to clean the barrel and push a brass brush from the chamber to the muzzle. Never move the brush back and forth in the barrel. Only clean in shooting direction. Remove the brush outside the muzzle and carefully pull the rod back thru the barrel.
-Then pull cleaning cords in dry condition thru the barrel until the last one shows no considerable dirt.
-Before shooting the next time, fire 5 shots to get back to the former shooting performance.
-Clean external parts with slightly oiled cloth.

Sounds pretty basic to me. :)

I don't use the brass brush though, just a bore snake with the brush still in it when it gets to 1 or 5 thousand round intervals. :) PatchWorm or Otis pull-thru with dry and oiled patches the rest of the time. That's it. :)
Danka Deiter... :D

·
Registered
405 Posts
If you want to put 5 rounds in the same hole you must clean it.
The "Great Shooters" I know that win matches clean after each match.
The only way to prevent build-up (the ring) in the chamber is clean often.
A good grade of oil (1-Step Oil), bronze brush and patches does it for me.

Fritz

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I try to follow the Anschutz instructions..

but need to add that cleaning should be done when accuracy degrades. Some rifles may make it the recommended 1000-5000 rounds others won't.

The used Anschutz I bought had a rough bore. It shot OK, though not as well as my others. I cleaned it really well with a brush and then used JB's and finished it off with Flitz. Whats amazing is that now it likes the same ammo as the other 64 Anschutz. The rifle looked unfired when I bought it, but either the previous owner shot it a lot or never cleaned it.

Considering the quality of steel Anschutz uses, I don't believe your going to hurt the bore with a brass brush. The real danger is nicking the rod on the bolt guides and the rod damaging the bore. Hence the need for a bore guide.

·
Registered
520 Posts
See, Mike in Mesa, we tried to warn you... :rolleyes:

Most of us are already on record, so a good search will yield all the various "only true way". Cleaning a rimfire has a lot in common with religion, and most folks won't be swayed from their own personal faith.

Jaywalker

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Jaywalker said:
See, Mike in Mesa, we tried to warn you... :rolleyes:

Most of us are already on record, so a good search will yield all the various "only true way". Cleaning a rimfire has a lot in common with religion, and most folks won't be swayed from their own personal faith.

Jaywalker
Amen, brother.. :D
Don

·
Registered
517 Posts
mike,guns are like people-some like to be very clean,some like to be just clean and some just love to wallow in scat.in order to find out what your gun wants is to scrub it till it shines and TEST IT.leave it dirty then TEST IT,then leave it dirtier and TEST IT---BUT REMEMBER -you are testing for repeatable results---not a one-off magic group.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.