Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

cleaning with soap and water?

786 12
Hi, i was watching a you tube video, where the guy took his gun apart, (think it was a sig) and submerged all the parts in a tub of soapy water, and began to clean everything,
is this safe to do?, it seems like the best way to clean if it doesn't hurt anything, but as i have been looking for cleaning techniques lately, i have not come across this until now

or is there a product that you can spray all over the gun that wont hurt anything, my concern is that some products can clean metal well, but if they touch plastic or wood, they destroy it,

what do you think
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Soapy H2O cleaner...

M-Man... So far as cleaning is concerned, a good dousing in a tub of very hot Dawn-soaped water is concerned, I don't see where it will cause a lot of harm. (It's a very good way to clean black powder weapons: boiling soapy water.) If the water is hot and all the metal is immersed to attain the same temperature, it should evaporate quickly enough. Then a good polishing with a lightly oiled rag, perhaps even a good squirt of Water Displacement 40 inside hard to reach places wouldn't hurt. I think a hot bath would work wonders at getting rid of old, dirt-drenched oil, as well.
Still, that being said: I'll just use water to clean my BP and eliminate the salts and leave the smokeless powder weapons as far from water as I can.

Shy

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
doing some more research, i am concerned after reading this thread

about what products are safe for the p22 pistol,
what products should i be using to clean the barrel, internals, and slide,
i don't want the finish to come off the slide, or the frame material to get damaged, is Hoppes no. 9 no longer safe to use?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hi, i was watching a you tube video, where the guy took his gun apart, (think it was a sig) and submerged all the parts in a tub of soapy water, and began to clean everything,
is this safe to do?, it seems like the best way to clean if it doesn't hurt anything, but as i have been looking for cleaning techniques lately, i have not come across this until now

or is there a product that you can spray all over the gun that wont hurt anything, my concern is that some products can clean metal well, but if they touch plastic or wood, they destroy it,

what do you think
You probably saw the AGI video. The guy washed the parts in Simple Green and then rinsed with water. I personally would not clean a handgun that way, but have cleaned grease and cosmoline from several Garands using boiling water, which is the fastest and most efficient way to get the cosmoline off the parts (metal parts only). This is best done with the firearms completely disassembled in order to make double **** sure that the water is competely removed prior to lubrication.

The heat of the metal coming from the boiling water goes a long way toward drying everything, and compressed air works very well at finishing the task.

If you have any doubt regarding the presence of residual water, hose it down well with WD-40. Let the WD-40 sit for while, then remove it with carburator cleaner, and then apply whatever gun oil you prefer. WD-40 is great at displacing water, but must be removed afterward, as it gums up the works if allowed to remain.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Hot soapy water has been used for a long time to clean firearms. Most of the old muzzle loader shooters used it to scrub the barrels out after shooting, they removed the nipple and stuck the end of the barrel in a bucket of hot soapy water and ran a good tight patch down the barrel and worked it up and down like a pump to clean the barrel. The old hot soapy water was the norm in the millitary to remove the cosmoline on rifles. It works, but these are old ways, back before we had all cleaning products we have today. They use to heat the metal after cleaning to remove the moisture then oil them down good to prevent rust.

·
Registered
47 Posts
SS Gun Scrubber the whole thing, whipe dry. Then Remoil w/Teflon the whole thing, whipe dry again. Spray SS Gun Scrubber right down the barrel and follow with a bore snake. A few patches work well also. I use a nylon brush to get in the cracks, and to clean the mags.
Just remember to use the Sythetic Safe can.

Easy as pie.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Reading this reminded me of that old Stallone movie "Stop or my mom will shoot!" The scene where his mom washes his Taurus PT99 with bleach and scotch brite. Hahaha.

I wash my G19 and P22 with hot soap and water to take the gunk out and then Gun scrubber for good measure. Then I use my wifes blow dryer on them. My Dad thought I was nuts and he won't dare do that to his beloved P14.45.:D

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
The only time I used hot soapy water was for the muzzeleloeader barrels. Blackpowder breaks down very easily with water. I kept the barrels seasoned naturaly to reduce fowling. I used Natural Lube to wipe the barrel after it was dried thoughly. Before shooting, I patch the barrel very well before loading.

I would never use soap and water on my centerfires or rimfires period. I use CPC, Birchwood Action Cleaner, or Kleenbore Solvent, or Hoppes. I have yet to encounter a problem with build up or rust.

Just take ur time on the initial clean - up before shooter. You don;t run across heavily ladden protection lubes like cosmuline unless you are buying military surplus. CZ\s take a little more time to break the protective lube, but will nicely clean-up with CPC.

Strangley enough, this week I ran into a perspective buy that the guy said he used soap and water to clean his rifles. They were pure junk and pitted - bore included. Hense my reply!

·
Registered
211 Posts
I just got done taking a shower with my p22!
I work on a lobsterboat and the p22 adds a little fun here and there to the day.The only problem is the bait slime gets all threw the gun.If you don't know what bait slime is then picture a 55 gallon drum filled with fish (usually herring),mix in 20 or so pounds of salt and let sit for several days,the juice and what ever small bits of the fish seperate when there bellys blow out from rotting is bait slime.Now dunk your gun in this mixture,soap and water is a great thing!
When I get home and head for the shower I toss my p22 and empty magazines in the bottom of the tub.Every now and then I will put one foot on the drain and swish the gun around with the other.After I get out of the shower I toss the gun in the sink and crank up the hot water while I get dressed.I then shake the gun around a little bit to get rid of most of the water and then let it air dry.A few drops of tetra or otis system cleaner/lube blown threw the gun and its ready for the next day!
Oil will do nothing if you get salt in your gun!I made that mistake in the past.My p22 fell in the salt water lobster tank on the boat and stayed there all day untill I could get it out.When I got it home I cut the top off a milk jug,put the gun in it and then dumped in a few quarts of motor oil in with it and forgot about it for a few weeks.I pulled the gun out,stripped it and wiped it down.It rusted up in a day!Oil will not disolve salt!
If you get your gun salty or use corrosive ammo or black powder rounds then soap and water is your best friend!In a pinch you can use windex to rinse your gun untill you get time to clean it properly.I just read on another forum that windex with vinegar is best or mix water with 5% vinegar and some rubbing alcohol.
Just make sure you fully dry it and oil it after its clean!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I think it was last year on Shooting USA, they were touting a product to clean Glocks. It's a tube of some sort of poly gun cleaner where you dunk the entire gun in this almost jelly like stuff and let the gun sit for an hour or so. Pull the gun out and remove all the jelly and lube and your good to go. Haven't used the product but it sure sounds nice.

Gunscrubber and Remoil w/teflon or CLP, is what I've used for a long time with good results

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.