Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using a cleaning rod guide? Which one? I see that ebay has a match barrel ultimate cleaning rod guide for 11.00 but I'd like to get some feedback on it. I just got a match barrel and want to clean it properly.

thanks.
Lovesbeer (but shoots safe)

·
Registered
778 Posts
Lovesbeer99,

I have seen cleaning rod guides for 10/22s for the muzzle end, but this is a bad idea. I have never seen a guide for the 10/22 to be cleaned from the breech end, via a hole drilled through the receiver. Your best bet is to use a pull though cleaner like the hoppes bore snake , patchworm, or one of the ottis kits. Save the cleaning rod for your centerfire rifles.

have fun shooting
Ruger Rob

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FYI - Randy at CPC provides the service to drill a hole in the back of your reciever for cleaning through the breech, but I'm not there yet myself.

Anyway I have never used any other method than the traditional rod and patch method. Do these bores snakes actually work? How long do they last?

I use a few wet patchs, then a brush, then a few more wet patchs and then followup with dry patches and finally a cotton swab. I also completely dissassemble the entire action and to make sure everything is clean.

Please note that my shooting days usually consist of 500 + rounds. I only stop when the action gets so dirty it won't cycle anymore. Then I switch to my bolt action till I get tired or bored.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Lovesbeer99,

I think that the bore snake works great, Its all I have ever used on my VQ barrel. I used to think that after every so many shots you stop and clean the daylights out of your bore like you do with a .223 or 22-250 varmint rifle, but that’s just not true with 22lr. In fact if I give my barrel a really good cleaning, it might take a good 20 shots before I start to see good accuracy start developing again. Most people will also suggest not to use a brush at all with 22lr that just a couple wet patches and one dry after a shooting session is all that is needed. I have a bore snake that I have removed the brushes on , I put a couple of drops of cleaner on the front and run it through twice and I’ am done. As far as the hole in back of the receiver I don’t really think that’s a good idea because there is no way to guide the rod through the receiver to the barrel its possible to do damage to the chamber from not keeping the rod straight enough. Another good advantage of the pull though cleaners is that you don’t have to take the stock off , just clean the bolt face with Q-tips.

ruger rob

·
Registered
10,623 Posts
The patch worm works great also. Bore snakes collect grit and should be washed after every use not so with the patch worm.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Make your own out of a length of weedwacker line. A while ago there were directions for all sorts of variations of this great idea on RimfireCentral. Maby do a search. Most 22s don't take much cleaning!

·
36,633 Posts
Pretty much the same as the patch worm. Get enough thick weed wacker line to make pull through for your barrel. Melt one end and flatten with the side of a knike or someting like that. Sharpen the other end by cutting at an angle. Now you can stab a patch and slide it down to the flattened end. Now you can slide the wacker line thru the barrel and pull through. Make a couple and you can put one in your range kit.

Personally I use the Otis kit. All of these work. I even like rods but if you us a rod the muzzle guide is a good idea and use one piece rods NEVER to stupid jointed rods!!!

·
Premium Member
13,072 Posts
Imho

Vincent said:
Make a couple and you can put one in your range kit.
I don't often disagree with Vincent but here I have to.

IMHO, it is shortsighted to try to make something that a Board Sponsor makes and sells at a very fair price. Buy a Patchworm kit and never look back. It is a fine product has been engineered to work, won't fail you unless you don't bother to read the instructions, and is reasonably priced.

Why "shortsighted"?
"Cause I think that we should try to support those who provide us with this little playground we call RFC. JUst my HO.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have a 10/22 Magnum. Usually shoot only a few shots, as it is my nighttime hunter. I live in the country, and hunt almost nightly. If I shoot a predator, one to three or four shots, I use a Boresnake. But if I've just sighted in, grouped with new ammo, or anything else involving a lot of shots, I use a Dewey Heavy Duty Bore Guide along with a Tipton Graphite Fiber cleaning rod. I use a brush, one pass, then Hoppe's #9 with patches, then dry patches, then one with very small amount of BreakFree. Personally, I do not thing the Boresnake, etc., will do the job on the bore and the chamber that I want done after firing a lot of rounds. And, also just personally, my Magnum never shoots better than when it's clean.
eljay

·
Registered
778 Posts
Eljay,

22lr is a complete different story than a 22 magnum. 22lr needs alot less cleaning, for the most part less is more w/ 22lr. also any cleaning rod but stainless or steel (uncoated) might damage your bore with the grit it collects. Kinda like putting sandpaper on your cleaning rod.

Ruger Rob

·
Registered
277 Posts
Cleaning rod material

ruger rob said:
Eljay,

22lr is a complete different story than a 22 magnum. 22lr needs alot less cleaning, for the most part less is more w/ 22lr. also any cleaning rod but stainless or steel (uncoated) might damage your bore with the grit it collects. Kinda like putting sandpaper on your cleaning rod.

Ruger Rob
Ruger Rob,
I appreciate your input. I knew that the aluminum rods would collect grit, but one of the selling points for the graphite fiber was that it wouldn't. I will check this out. Before I retired, I was involved with materials for mechanical and fluid systems for space application. I can still get a friend of mine, a chemist, to review data we collected over the years on various material's tendency to collect particulate matter. I'll do that, see what he has to say. Again, thanks for the input!
eljay

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
lovesbeer99 said:
Anyone using a cleaning rod guide? Which one? I see that ebay has a match barrel ultimate cleaning rod guide for 11.00 but I'd like to get some feedback on it. I just got a match barrel and want to clean it properly.

thanks.
a couple feet of weedwacker line cost about 15 cents

Dave Z.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.