Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!
Another newby, enjoying a new model 60SB. Never owned one before but my son and I are spending time shooting it.
I like to clean and oil my guns often, and have used Brake clean spray to degrease them during cleaning. Is this a bad thing to do with the plastic trigger guard? Also can the plastic be replaced with a metal one, or is this all that is available for this model 60?
Thanks for any info.
TJ60

·
Registered
116 Posts
Before you put the brake cleaner on the plastic, its best to test a small spot first.

I once had a Marlin camp carbine that had a plastic trigger guard and magazine housing. I sprayed Birchwood Casey's "gun scrubber" on it....what a mistake! It softened the plastic and darn near ruined the rifle. After a period of time, the plastic hardened to like original, but I sure thought it was a goner for awhile, there!

hog

·
Registered
457 Posts
Re: Cleaning plastic trigger guard

TJ60,

Hello. A company called Mirachem manufactures a product called MIRACHEM GUN CLEANER (product formerly called "inSight") which is said to be completely harmless on plastic, metal, etc. I've not tried it myself, but if you'd like to find out more about it, see:

http://www.mirachem.com/Gun_Cleaner.htm

On the above site, it says the product is available in 4-ounce "finger pumps" or 18-ounce aerosol cans. They also mention "samples" available for prospective customers, prior to purchase. If you call their telephone number (below), you can ask about a free sample.

I also see on the Brownell's website that they list this product, but it is currently "out of stock" and you'd have to back-order it if you place an order with them. On Brownell's site, the product description says, "Won't irritate hands, won't etch metals or harm plastics. Air dries quickly; no harmful vapors."

The manufacturer's address:

Mirachem Corporation
4645 W. McDowell Rd., Unit 103
Phoenix, AZ 85035
Tel: 1-800-847-3527 MST (Customer Service)
E-mail: [email protected]

Hope this helps. :t ;)

Regards,

"akrimfire" :snipersmi

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I saw the plastic pin you referred to and was wondering how long it would last before having to replace it. It seems the tabs on the pin will wear with each cleaning, pushing it through the metal plate. It would probably be a good idea to keep spares for these plastic parts.
Tj 60 :2t

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.