Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being a "ROOKIE" in this game...do you guys then reccomend taking the barrel off each time to clean it- breech to muzzle- or is there another way that I'm not aware of. Ive been using a muzzle guide when I clean my bull barrel 10/22's....

·
Registered
726 Posts
Most of us recommend the Trimmer line method. We don't use a rod and NEVER use a brush on a VQ barrel.

With the trimmer line, you take a section of plastic trimmer line, melt one end and then push it against something hard to flair that end into sort of a "button". Then sharpen the other end to a point. Push the point through a .22 patch and feed the line into the barrel from the breech (chamber) end. Pull the line and the patch through the barrel from the muzzle end. Use what ever cleaning solvents you wish on the patches.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cleaning rod???

I'm curious why the aversion to cleaning rods, assuming that a jag and a patch is used. (My reciever is drilled to allow the patch to clean from the breach to the muzzle. )

·
Registered
424 Posts
Because Volquartsen will void the warranty if you do use one in their barrels.

I basically agree with you. I believe if you clean from the breech end and do it correctly with a clean 1-piece rod, jag and patch, you will never damage the barrel in any way. However, since .22LR ammo doesn't have jacketed bullets and since you will never damage a bore with a rod you don't use, there's no real reason to use a rod in a .22LR barrel. Besides, the pull-through "weed whacker" method of cleaning is much easier than pulling the action out of the stock, removing trigger group and bolt in order to use a rod anyway.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Bore Snake in VQ Barrels

ocabj,
As for cleaning, we do not recommend a brush in our barrels for the reasons mentioned. They do not require a brush to be cleaned due to the finish on the bore. I would recommend some kind of pull through cleaning kit - it is quick & easy and will do more than an adequate job. [Scott Volquartsen, from the "Volquartsen Barrels" 'sticky' thread]
So long as you have removed the brush from the 'bore snake' ....! ! ;)

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Cleaning Rods

Jim Hbar,

I'm curious why the aversion to cleaning rods, assuming that a jag and a patch is used?
No matter how careful you are, the rod will flex and rub on the bore; any grit or grime on the rod will abrade the rifling.....! ! :(

·
Registered
16 Posts
Problem with coated rods

The problem with using coated rods or rods that seem safe because they are a softer material that the bore is that abrasive crud can become inbedded into the rod and can and will damage your bore during cleaning.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Patch Worm?

Properly maintained rod or not...unless you remove the bbl from the action (or make the through-hole in the back of the action) you would be using a rod at the MUZZLE end. Big no-no on anything.

So had anyone used the Patch Worm? I was curious as to the durability of the interchangeable bore tips. (Do they screw onto the line? Does the line slip through them?)

--Otter

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.