Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On something like a 10/22 it's obviously impractical to clean with a rod, and Bore Snakes don't get it as clean as I like. What exactly could cause damage when cleaning from the muzzle end? I don't use a brush just patches and a jag and want to make sure to not damage it...

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
When the cleaning rod rides over the crown enough it will cause burrs, flat spots or whatever anything that touches the crown besides the bullet on exit is not good. It's been a long time since I have had a 10/22 so I'm not sure what's invloved in breaking it down. A cheap boreguride for the muzzle (10-20$?) would save you a lot of heartache in the end!

Clint

·
Registered
156 Posts
I got a Sinclair boreguide at the sametime I got my 10/22. It didnt keep the jag away from the crown. If anything I was better without it, at least I could see where the rod was entering the muzzle.
I dont worry about geting a .22lr squeaky clean. There is no jacket on the bullet to cause copper buildup. Powder and lead doesnt snowball in your barrel like copper. Thats one of the cool things about the .22lr, it doesnt harm your barrel nealy as much as most other bullets. Or even a rod at that!

·
Registered
400 Posts
No Need

to clean a .22 LR barrel but once in a blue moon. Had a dorm buddy at UGA who was very competitive in Southeastern Conference Smallbore. He almost never cleaned his bore. Said it screwed up accuracy -- that the build-up of trash actually helped the barrel to settle into a consistent groove. I run a boresnake through mine every few hundred rounds, but that is to clean the chamber, not the bore. The most I EVER do is pull a loose patch soaked in solvent through and let it do its chemical magic for fifteen or twenty minutes, followed by a brushless boresnake.

That's the bore! On .22 LR.

Centerfire bores I clean fanatically. And, of course, all other parts of a firearm (especially the action) should be kept squeaky clean.

·
Registered
828 Posts
cleaning

You can always have a hole drilled in the end of your action housing but it is only good if you have it torn apart. I also have a bore guide that I got from Midway that you use to clean it from the muzzle end.
A bore snake should do the job for you until you have to do a major cleanup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.