Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new Varmint in 17 HMR. It's real fun to shoot but cleaning it is different than the .22. I use the Patch worm on both but what's the proper cleaning for the 17? I bought a very nice Tipton rod and a "no harm" brass brush but will I do more harm than good? I know to clean from the breech but is it okay to pull the bruch bach throught the muzzel? I am very worried about damaging the crown. :confused:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Same boat but NO brushes for me..YET.

Howdy. I have a new CZ .17HMR Varmint... PatchWorm, Boresnake w/brush removed, new Dewey SS 1-piece road and brass jag. All I have used, or intend to use, is the PatchWorm although did use the de-brushed Boresnake on my pre-firing cleaning just for grins.

Only a total of 50 rounds fired todate....cleaned at 20, then at 50. I think I got it plenty clean with just patches... and now that I have my Brooks trigger kit installed [ 2 lbs 1 oz pull] you can purchase Hornandy common stock with confidence effective Tuesday when my range next opens.

Seriously, I'd cleaned firearms from the muzzle for well over 50 years..just hunting, plinking around , military and some Cowby Action shooting BUT our 10/22 brothers made a believer out of me on protecting the target crown and going easy on brush work.

Now why did I buy the BoreSnake, rod and jag?..Hey, I didn't say I was a believer for life..IF and WHEN patches don't do the job I'll try the rod/jag but doubt I'll ever put a brush through this rifle.

Sure is a fun rifle/cartridge combination IMHO.

Best wishes with yours.

Regards,
Unk

·
Registered
178 Posts
I would treat the .17 like I do my .22's; I don't use brushes if i've feed the gun a diet of lead bullets...just clean with patches. Brushing removes the lead fouling that helps to accurize. Talk to some of the Anschutz shooters and they will tell you NO to Brushes. I made a boo boo with my Anschutz by shooting a couple of rounds of Copper bullets. The groups got all screwed up and I had to clean the gun. It took over 200 shots of lead bullets to get her back. Don't worry about too much fouling, as the bore will foul and layer itself until it can't layer anymore with lead. Little peices of lead get stripped off the bullets to form these layers, so when the bore is smooth enough, it will stop stripping off lead. Only thing left then will be powder fouling.
Copper is a different story, you need to clean copper because copper is abrasive...very abrasive, so i guess you need to decide which way you want to go. Copper bullets will strip that good lead coating out of the bore, and you loose accuracy. That's why I had to completely clean my Anschutz and start all over again. Small bores are always a problem when it comes to cleaning, but if it was me, find the bullet your gun likes to eat and stick with that.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
270 shooter said:
I would treat the .17 like I do my .22's; I don't use brushes if i've feed the gun a diet of lead bullets...just clean with patches. Brushing removes the lead fouling that helps to accurize. Talk to some of the Anschutz shooters and they will tell you NO to Brushes. I made a boo boo with my Anschutz by shooting a couple of rounds of Copper bullets. The groups got all screwed up and I had to clean the gun. It took over 200 shots of lead bullets to get her back. Copper is a different story, so i guess you need to decide which way you want to go. Small bores are always a problem when it comes to cleaning, but if it was me, find the bullet your gun likes to eat and stick with that.
Unk and Jersey have no choice. Jacketed ammo is the only kind manufactured in .17 HMR. The .17's high velocity negates the use of plain lead ammo. These rifles are more like centerfires when it comes to cleaning. Copper fouling will build up quickly. I don't see how one can avoid the use of both heavy copper solvents and a brush (at least occasionaly).

·
Registered
10,972 Posts
My Marlin 17Hmr & 17M2 do not copper foul. I do not use a brush just patches on a patch worm like device the rifles shoot very accuratly.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
My CZ 17 needs a good cleaning...

with a brush and solvent periodically to shoot well. I tried the "shoot til accuracy" drops method and that was as quick as 20 shots.

Recently I cleaned the bore good with a brush, solvent and then Flitz. There was a little build up near the chamber that was noticeable during the cleaning stroke. It now shoots fantastic.

I only push the brush from breech to muzzle and don't pull it back through.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
recumbent said:
My Marlin 17Hmr & 17M2 do not copper foul. I do not use a brush just patches on a patch worm like device the rifles shoot very accuratly.
Recumbent, surely you use a solvent on the patches you pull thru the bore. If so, what is it? It must be a good one. And I hope you mean that your Marlin .17s "are not copper fouled" rather than "do not copper foul". The rifled barrel that does not foul at least some when forcing high velocity metal projectiles out of it has yet to be invented.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I've found the leade....

fouls in my CZ. If I don't clean it with a brush, the groups open up to 1.5"-1.75" at 100 yards.

CZ recommends using a brush, cleaning solvent and throroughly scrubbing the bore in the owners manual. Sounds good to me, if it does to them.

·
Registered
10,972 Posts
I use Hoppes #9. I have checked it with Sweets 7.62 and as you know if copper is present the patch will turn blue and this has never happened. I might also add that the bore has been treated with MolyFusion my 17HM2 has also been treated with MolyFusion.

sheffieldshootr said:
Recumbent, surely you use a solvent on the patches you pull thru the bore. If so, what is it? It must be a good one. And I hope you mean that your Marlin .17s "are not copper fouled" rather than "do not copper foul". The rifled barrel that does not foul at least some when forcing high velocity metal projectiles out of it has yet to be invented.

·
Banned
5,934 Posts
Guys, I'll tell you a little secret recipe about keeping copper/powder/lead build up to a minimum with whatever cleaning method you decide to use. Take some Butch's Boreshine and a can of KROIL. Mix together in equal parts and use this formula in all of your rifles. It flat out works! A guy told me about it. He found it in Precision Shooter magazine.

Brad

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.