Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to get a .22 for open sight plinking and target shooting. I have thought about getting a Walmart special 10/22 and sending it to Randy at CPC for a trigger job, barrel setback and crown and bolt combo. That would set me back about $400, but I would almost certainly have a very reliable and accurate gun. The alternative is to get a T/C Classic. The quality of the Classic really appeals to me, not to the mention the fact that it would be cheaper, but I am concerned about some of the threads on this forum referring to problems with jamming and with accuracy. Since the problems seem to be random, it sounds like T/C's quality control isn't very good. I would hate to buy the Classic and get a lemon. Does anyone have any opinions about which way I should go?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Does anyone else find this funny, maybe pathetic is a better word. To get a Ruger that will shoot we need to spent a couple of hundred over the price of the gun and for the T/C we are worried about getting a lemon. One would think that there would be something out there that we could just buy and not have to worry about it.

Back to the original post:

Have you checked with Randy at CPC to see if he will do the barrel setback on a factory taper barrel, his web site says aftermarket barrels and I seem to remember a post here that said the same thing. I could be “very wrong”.

As far as getting a lemon goes, T/C does not have the market cornered here, I am sure Ruger as well as any other manufacture selling in this price range will have the same issues.

I have a T/C Classic and had a Benchmark neither of which had any problems. I have a Ruger 10/22 and had a 77/22 both of which needed to go back to Ruger for repair and I had a Remington 597 LS HB that need to go back several times. I would not hesitate to buy either a Ruger or T/C again, can’t say the same for the 597.

Besides, you might get lucky with the T/C if you need to send it back and get it replaced with the same beautiful wood Dwight P got when they replaced his.

I know accuracy is a big issue and many are into bench rest shooting to check group size but with these taper barrel sporter guns I thing the CMP Rimfire Sporter matches are a good test. A T/C Classic has won the scoped class for the last three years during the CMP Rimfire Sporter Matches at Camp Perry with a tie in 2004 between to T/C Classics.

I bought my 10/22 to play with (build up) and the Classic to shoot the way it came out of the box. I have been pleased with both.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.