Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a recent convert to collecting High Standards. At current prices you can sure spend up soeem dollars quickly for Hamden and E Hartford guns in nice condition. In reading through posts on the Mitchell and Stoeger Aimco versions, you can sure find a variety of opinions.

I purchased over the past three weeks three Stoeger Pro 95's; two Citations and one Victor. Both Citations have worked well. The Victor was used and required some trigger repairs due to the prior owner messing with it. Yesterday I decided to purchase a Mitchell Citation II. Figure for the price which was about 1/2 of High Standard ML series Citation it was worth the gamble.

Did an informal range test this morning with the three Citation 5 1/2 models; the E Hartford, the Stoeger Pro 95, and the new Mitchell. At 20 yds from a rest all three guns shot into one inch or a bit less. Given trifocals, shooting tight groups is a challenge. What I did find interesting with a consistent hold, is find no real difference between the three brands. All three seemed to favor Aguila pistol match for tighest groups. The E Hartford and Stoeger functioned on Wolf match, the Mitchell was a bit erractic. The Mitchell required a bit more Rem-Oil to be 100% reliable on standard velocity. All three worked well on high velocity ammo. I ran out of time and want to try a magazine swap next time out.

My simple conclusion is that a Mitchell or Stoeger is a less than 1/2 price alternate to a High standard. Check back in 20 years to see which is worth more! My bet is on the High Standards!

Sure appreciate any comments on my simple comparison.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree that neither the Mitchell or Stoeger versions are quite up to the High Standards but compared to othe current pistols they hold their own quite well. At current High Standard prices, they are sort of like taking your fully restored muscle car out for a ride on a bad day.

I now have about 500 rounds through the Mitchell and have had virtually no problems with it. All three Stogers have also worked very well. Next experiment is to swap magazines. Have you done any magazine swapping? I have as yet not be able to find a spare original HS military magazine. Will try gun shows this month but sure are had to find. Thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Unfortunately I only have 2 Mitchell mags, but from everything I've heard the HS mags are hit or miss in HS pistols. I've never thought to try dad's mag in my pistol. I do know the grips are interchangable. I bought a pair of left handed HS grips so the wife would be more comfy shooting it, but her and the trophy have very bad chemistry.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The two Mitchells I have don't match the fit or finish of either of my E. Hartford or early Hamden guns, but they are both good shooters and together cost less than the going price for either gun in the E. Hartford flavor ;)

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Only long term wear/damage I've noted on the newer pistols is the peening of the area around the firing pin where the hammer and bolt stop strike the rear of the bolt, the material is soft and can seize the pin. A little careful stoning and filing goes a long way towards reliability.
The mags in the stainless guns are slightly oversized and don't fit my older blued steel models.
Take care,
warren

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the comments. For the money spent on the Mitchell and the Stoegers I am very pleased with how they function and the accuracy. From a price point of view, they do as well as the stock Rugers and Buckmarks and appear to be a bit more accurate. Compared to a Walter P22 or Beretta Neos they are flat wonderful but that is another story!

I have found them to be more difficult to cock when the trigger has been pulled I asume due to a stiffer hammer spring. Any body else noticed that compared to a High Standard?

Any suggestions on long term wear issues on high velocity as opposed to standard velocity ammunition? The Mitchell Victor looks very nice. Original Victors in Georgia at Gun shows are getting to be very expensive!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Use Standard Velocity

The cracked-frame problem in some High Standard pistols is said to be caused by the use of high velocity rounds. The guns are best as classic precision target shooters, and standard target-velocity ammo is their proper diet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.