Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got all parts, the barrel is a stock 77-17 when the spacer is installed, and the shim is in (thick side to the ejection side rounded side down), it still does'nt have enough thickness to allow the v block to engauge and grab, holding all in place, at least .020" when looking into the area with the vblock off, and the shimm in place, it definatly sits low. maybe I should just make my own?

is it posible that the stock barrel is slightly different than the aftermarket?

I've tried every orientation for the shim so I'm fairly sure thats not the problem, the extractor will line up, but even with the v block tightened, you can move the barrel :(

thanks for the help

PS I'll try and mike the shim tonight and post the thickest size

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
Chief says : OK> If you insert the barrel into the receiver.

check it to the standard barrel . Notice where the origional
barrel sets in relation to the receiver/ bolt / ect.
What you are doing is using the washer on the 77-17
barrel to reduce the shoulder length inside the receiver.

:hence : make same as origional length.

Once this is done ( washer = narrow side down) to let all
fit into receiver. You still have the problem of the v-block.

Vblock notch in 77 barrel is in different place, The Shim added
here actually adds the needed pressure to secure the barrel
tightly.

MAKE SURE - you cut the top corner of the v-block .
I post pic here shortly.

The first one I did " I used a simple crosspin infront of the v-block.
this put uneven pressure and canted the barrel.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just one more shot, of the barrel protruding into the reciever, it matches up with the stock barrel. so I'm definitly looking at the shim, it seems to be short by about .02" maybe a little more. I need to go down to my shop to make an acurate check (unless I've just got it in wrong)

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
Chief Says : I have to agree with Ted ! The shim as shown
in the picture " looks as if the V-BLOCK does not even touch it."

The shim must be thick enough to fill the gap , needed to exert
rearward pressure on the barrel and washer . Thus making
a tight fit when tightened down to the receiver.

TRY ASSEMBLING without the shim in place , then look closely behind the v-block as to the space vacant in the slot . this will
give you an idea of the thickness needed.
Remember , the V-block must contact the shim.

keep us posted.

CD.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GOT IT!!

fagricated a .065 shim to go between the barrel / and the shim. this brought the v block in contact so that it could tighten apropriatly, flush on the left hand side (when looking down) small gap approx.010" on the right side, when torqued. extractors lined up beutifully.

after a good cleaning and reassebly, it's ready to go.

thanks for all your help :t

I'll try and get out Wed. and see how it works, I need to start breaking in the new barrel on the 77-17 any how :D

thanks again

·
Registered
534 Posts
Was that one of my shims?

Was that a shim I supplied with a barrel spacer (washer) ?

The problem might have been that I grind these into a wedge-shape before sending them because the barrel needs to be canted, or rotated about 30 degrees because the extractor groove on a 77/17 barrel is in a dfferent location than on a 10/22 mag barrel. The first time I assembled mine, the bolt wouldn't shut right because the extractor kept hanging up. Once I rotated the barrel a little, this problem went away.

My fix was the angled shim. The way to do this properly is to insert the shim, set the v-block in place (without tightening it) then slowly rotate the barrel until the v-block rests flat. That indexes the extractor groove properly.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Artifex, yes it was the supplied shim, but,,,

it was not the shim angle that was the problem, the angle was fine. what I found, was that for some reason, (maybe the stock 77-17 barrel?) notch area sat deaper twards the reciever. a s you can see in one of the above pictures. even with the shim installed, the V-block would not touch the shim. So I fabricated a .065" spacer to space out the shim, because I still needed the angle to be correct. once this was done, all was fine :t

Evan, I'll try and get some more pics up as I get some more time. I seem to have been spending more time with some of my other projects as of late. I'm sure most of you know how that goes :rolleyes: never enough time to go around.. my Savage model 10FP 223 has been demanding some attention, as has some honeydoos.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.