Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow. Just changing from a cheap plastic stock that probably wasn't handling the rifle properly (had to use a wooden block and sand paper to sand it out for the .920 barrel, which it said it wouldn't support, but barely did after mod), to the original wooden stock (I used the same block and sand paper to open the channel a little bit and allow it to seat properly... tightened it down a little bit (should it be snug, tight, or torqued?), and my groups were amazing (compared to before) with cheap Winchester Super-X loose bulk.

Just something to keep in mind... stock can really affect accuracy (not just proper bedding, but actual seating and basic support).

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Came stock with wood (the lowest end 10/22). I then bought (before knowing ATI was evil) an ATI Dragunov Stock, which was okay for the regular barrel, and once I removed all the flashing, not awful. Then I got a new custom blank done by a smith friend of mine, and put it in yet another stock. Then back to the Dragunov, which said it could not be made to accept .920, which I forced it to (got real thin on the side)... Accuracy was crap... then I opened up the wooden stock a bit, and it's sooooooooo much better... I tried all different bulk ammos with the Drag stock, but nothing liking... I then tried some Winchester Bulk Pack that my 69a liked (the Drag stock did not so great with it), and bam, Quarter sized 10 shot group... (at ~ 25 yards, kind of supported, but not rested).

The retail stock has metal to hold the stock to the receiver in two places, the ATI I think only one, if that... Still, how tight should I tighten that screw?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Keep screwing with it

and tightening and loosening that bolt until your happy with it, then leave it alone. Only you will know when your happy with the accuracy and how much torque to apply.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.