Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now, first let me tell you: this was no official test, i didn't use a bench or anything, just a curiosity.
I was doing a bit of practice with my air rifle for getting rid of the pesky tree-rats that like to hang out in my feeder and eat all the bird food. I decided to replicate the conditions exactly, so i nailed the target on a piece of plywood to the feeder, and took up my shooting spot: sitting on a 5 gallon pail and bracing on the frame of a door from about 15 yards away, i guess. I took a 4 or 5 shot group, and it was not bad (by my terms) but it was about an inch to the right. At this point i notice the board was at about a 45º angle, with the right side sitting farther away. So I straightened it out and shot another group, and it was dead on. I tried 2 more groups, one at the angle, one straight, same effect. If I was thinking, and had more targets, i would have tried the opposite angle to see if the group strayed the other way. Is this an effect of the target board being at an angle? Or was it some sort of weird fluke? Tomorrow if i get a chance i'll do some more testing, off a better rest, and try different angles and such, and post an update. Any and all thoughts welcome. Thanks.

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
i'd bet it's the contact of the rifle and the door frame... anytime you brace against a vertical surface, you'll get some horizontal shift....... some padding, like your hand, can reduce it, but it will continue to plague you....

my suggestion is to get serious. an old ironing board makes a great bench rest... get some super colibri loads, and break out the 10/22!...... they're much quieter than any air rifle i've shot.....it's a 20gr @ 500fps...... a .22 pellet gun is a 14gr..... i get groups about 3/8" at 50" w/ my 1-16" twist bbl.... in my 1-9", i get one hole, barely above bullet dia!...lol....

i found that if i bought birdseed w/o sunflower seeds in it, the squirrels didn't bother it much at all.....

later
cletus

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if it's the door frame, then why did it straighten out when i straightened the target? i was still using the door...
and i did some shooting off a table today, i tried all kinds of different angles and directions at what i paced to be about 20 yards, with my .177 air rifle, and long story short... i have no clue. the groups weren't tight enough to tell, as the shift wasn't much the first time. i also noticed that when i started, it was shooting a bit to the right... :rolleyes: so it might be me, a fluke, or nothing at all, and it might be something significant. anyone who's interested, email me @ [email protected] or PM me, and i'll tell you what i did in detail. please try this out, some way or another, if you get a chance, and post the results, i'm very curious.
as for the bird seed.... i use striped sunflower seeds... so that it attracts the tree-rats and i can shoot 'em! :p :AR15firin

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my air rifle has a plain jane tasco 4x15 scope on it, designed for rimfires, etc. i sighted it in for that exact distance before i started the test. BTW, i have a crosman 2100 classic air rifle,, a pump.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Changes happen, springers help and there is no substitute for practice

The reason I asked is because I have experienced similar changes in POI from a pre-determined POA. I attribute it to either canting or change in hold. OK, canting is holding level to the ground, or at thye same angle for every shot. The change in hold is a bit more peculiar to explain. I will try. Here is how I understand it: when we lift up a rifle (this may be true for pistol hold also, I'm looking into this for the past few years... :D ), and bring the butt to the shoulder we take up a position (body. sceleton, feet etc.) that comes to us as comfortably as possible. But, on occasion a small change in the target's position may lead us to compensate by assuming an uncomfortable position, which affects our shooting. The effect could be, simply put, positive or negative, i.e., aim and hit, or aim and miss. When we aim and hit we instinctively think that we are a good shot. Fine. From a slightly different angle, though, we may miss. Or, the reverse may happen. These changes are more prominent with springer airguns than rimfires. PCPs shoot nearly like rimfires. Yet, the real test in shooting is to master an air rifle. In short if one manages to shoot a spring-powered air rifle accurately, it means that he/she will excell w/a rimfire.

Don't ask me how to correct this issue, as I don't know. Your guess is as good as mine.

Practice, I guess.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the canting seems to make sense, but if i'm taking 5 shots at a target that doesn't change it's position, i don't think the change in hold idea has much merit. and you'd think if i was canting it, it would shoot to the right whether or not the target was at an angle. i think it may be the way i aimed, because i was shooting at a rectangular picture of a clown (which i found on here, thanks to whoever posted it!!), and it was significantly narrower when at an angle, so i may have subconsiously changed the point of aim, which would explain why i had no luck (tight groups or not) when shooting at a normal targets, as the round dot might not have caused me to change my point of aim subconciously.... if that makes any sense. or it may have something to do with the fact that when i shot originally, i was using a paper stapled to a piece of plywood, and when i tested, i used paper stapled to a cardboard box. i think it needs more testing... :p i also ran out of my good pellets, RWS "superdome" and "superpoint", from germany, i think. anyone know where i can find some in Alberta, Canada? i know they're available at GVR industries, but i cant seem to find one. but there is more testing to be done for sure. :D :AR15firin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.