Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about chamfering the bolt on my 10/22 as per instruction in the tricks & tips section. I really haven't had any problems with my rifle cycling improperly though. Just enjoy monkeying around with the rifle and learning how it works.:)

It seems to me with less force absorbed by the hammer more force would end up on the bolt stop pin. :( Is this going to be a problem? Ruger must have designed it this way for a purpose. :confused:

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Don't think that the bolt stop pin recieving a little extra (doubt that it would be much extra force at all) force would be harmful at all. Of course you'll find most of us recomend replacing the bolt stop pin with a shock buffer. Dakotan has the best one around as far as I can tell.

http://www.weaponkraft.itgo.com/

Give it a try, you'll like using em! And the chamfering of the bolt isn't a bad idea either way. Hope this helps.

Dave Z.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Bolt Chamfering

All of the Tips and Tricks that I have tried in the short time I have been reading Rimfire Central have lead to improved accuracy or smoother functioning or both. The bolt chamfering and an aftermarket recoil buffer will definitely make your 10/22 a smoother gun to shoot. There is no penalty for improving the mechanical advantage for cocking the hammer when the recoil buffer is added. You really need one of these anyway.

So if you like to tinker, have at it, you won't be dissappointed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Chamfering the bolt

Hi,
I chamfered my bolt on the weekend.
I used 80 grit / 120 grit and 220 grit on a 18" belt sander clamped to a workbench.
I started the rough cuts with the 80 grit and continued with the 120 and finished with the 220,

I took the gun to the range anf I was please to see a significant reduction in stovepipes. I have a Volquartsen Carbon barrel andits pretty picky as far as ammo goes. It like Federal Classic round nose the best and I still get occasional stovepipes.
Anyway I got 1 stove pipe in about 100 rounds. Pretty acceptable
IMHO.

As to your concern about the bolt stop. Long ago I replace my steel boltstop with a 1/4" nylon machine screw cut to length.
Iv'e put over 2000 rounds through the gun and no significant deterioration to the nylon stop. Its a pretty inexpensive fix!

·
Registered
54 Posts
It seems to me with less force absorbed by the hammer more force would end up on the bolt stop pin.
You are correct. BUT you are reducing the force and wear to the hammer pivot pin holes in the trigger guard, a much more tolerance-sensitive area.

Try bolt chamfering and a bolt buffer....you'll like it!

Give us an update,
WW

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've tried e-mailing weaponKraft to get some bolt buffers ordered snail-mail. Haven't got a reply yet.

I plan on taking all your advice and trying the chamfer trick. I will keep you guys up-dated on my progress and results. :)

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
TripleTaco,
I don't know why you haven't heard back. I emailed Dakotan about ordering a buffer and he replied quickly:confused: :confused:
I've emailed you a copy of the email I got from him, it includes a price list and ordering info.
Have a good one!
Paul

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Triple Taco, Check Your E-Mail!

About 6 times a year I have some e-mail messages that just don't get to me! Weird!
Anyhow, I got the ordering info off to you through RFC's e-mail forwarding; PM me if there are any other problems!

Take Care! - Dakotan

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I Chamfered the Bolt!

Just wanted to let you guys know I chamfered the bolt this weekend. I also smoothed the bolt face, did automatic bolt release trick, installed a locking set screw to keep the trigger group snug, polished the firing pin, polished the end of the trigger spring gizmo, installed a VQ bolt buffer and installed a VQ Target hammer.:D Haven't had a chance to fire with the new target hammer yet. The trigger sure seems better though.

By the way Dakotan did get ahold of me. :) I ended up just adding the VQ bolt buffer to an order I already had with Rimfire Sports for the target hammer, just because it was easier. I think in the future I may order the reliability kit from Dakotan.:) I would like to try his buffer. This is getting addicting!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.