Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm thinking about chamfering my bolt. i have never done it before and i am a little nervous about doing it. i was wondering what i will need like what sandpaper or metal polish. How do i know how much to take off? how hard is it to do? thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
31 Posts
10/22 kid,
Do not worry about doing it right. It would be hard to do a bad job. I did mine on a belt sander clamped it the vice upside down.
(hands free mode):)

If you have a used 10/22, you will see a mark on the bottom of the bolt where the hammer rubs. You will see where it stops its rub mark, when the bolt has cycled at its rear point. I ground mine just short of that mark. I have a loooong redius on mine and it works fine. Mine is a lot longer than Antlurz's!!

Just polish it back up by hand with some Flitz.

Wingnut

·
Registered
270 Posts
I used a Dremel on mine. I used a grinding bit and went slowly. Once I was happy with the shape, I cleaned up the grinding marks with one of the stainless steel polishing wheels.

When I was happy there, I used Flitz to a high polish.

All was done freehand, and I think it looks good...but, milage may vary.

KillJoy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.