Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
20,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yea people, am having a prob with extracting fired shells in one of my rimmers and dont think it is the xtractor. would like some hints on how to polish a
chamber. got polishing compound, but what kind of tool is used. it is a bolt rifle.

thanks all.

· Premium Member
Gunsmithing 10/22's and 77/22"s since 1994 Phone 1-860-343-0552
1,267 Posts
Barrel is removed from receiver and put in lathe - appox 900 rpm's and a tiny strip of 400 grit sandpaper attached to wood dowel is used to chamber polish in and out with out touching the lead angle...

· Registered
282 Posts
I used a wooden dowel with a small bit of extra-fine steel wool in a .25-06 chamber. Split the dowel length-wise about 3/8 inch with a coping saw to hold the wool, and turn it with a drill. Just don't run it hard into the lead. Worked for me. Your mileage may vary. :D Just a thought, you may use a brush with a little steel wool wrapped around it. A .22 brush should work in a rimfire chamber.

· Registered
1,132 Posts
First check to make sure it is clean and has no damage to it.
Depends on how much polishing is needed, for light polishing use a 30 caliber bore mop with a good metal polish, you can use it with a drill but go slow, keep it out of the lead and check it often.
To check it, clean it, lube it then clean the lube out. Be careful and it can be done with no damage, get in a hurry and a new barrel may be in order.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.