Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently looking for a handgun for my fiancee who wants to to get her CCW in the next few months. I have narrowed down my selection to only include DA revolvers either chambered in .38 spl or .32 H&R mag. I have shot .38 revolvers before but I do not have any experience with .32 H&R. If you can give me an opinion on either round in this application, it would be appreciated. By the way we are talking about a 5'-0" tall women who weighs..... :hide: ....well we will leave it at that.

·
Administrator
23,674 Posts
I have a very short barreled .38 Spcl revolver that I carry almost everywhere I go. I like the .38 Spcl cartridge and think the .32 might be a little light as a self-defense round. Because my gun is very small and very light the recoil is pretty snappy, but not so much I can't handle it and I consider it part of the trade for getting something small and light enough that I'll actually carry it. If I could find a small 9mm autoloader that fit well (probably single-stack) I would consider trading in my revolver.

I have narrowed down my selection to only include DA revolvers either chambered in .38 spl or .32 H&R mag.
If you want her to carry it, you need to get her involved in picking it out. This site has some good advice:

http://www.corneredcat.com/TOC.aspx

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
:bthumb: Hope I didn't sound shrill there.

I'll add that I'm 5'4" and 125ish lbs -- the smaller S&W revolvers are perfect fits in my hands but I think you have to be careful not to get them too light.
Shrill....You are never shrill... I had my former wife a Colt Detective Special. I thought it a perfect size and a good caliber....Wish I still had that pistol. What Smith are you using??? My wife and I are both pretty small frame and I am a revolver fan for defense pistol.....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Here's what I would do...

I am currently looking for a handgun for my fiancee who wants to to get her CCW in the next few months. I have narrowed down my selection to only include DA revolvers either chambered in .38 spl or .32 H&R mag. I have shot .38 revolvers before but I do not have any experience with .32 H&R. If you can give me an opinion on either round in this application, it would be appreciated. By the way we are talking about a 5'-0" tall women who weighs..... :hide: ....well we will leave it at that.
I think you've made a very wise initial decision by wanting to go with a relatively small caliber revolver for your fiancée. The big mistake most fiancés make is wanting to buy their fiancées a relatively large caliber and small-framed semi-automatic. Generally, this combination is too complicated for new shooters and the whippyness of semi-autos can be a turn-off.

If she has limited shooting experience, the goal is to get her interested in shooting and gain her confidence. In that case, get her a fairly large framed double action revolver, like an all-steel S&W K-Frame in .38/.357, with at least a 4" barrel. Then load it with .38 Special wad-cutters and let her go at it. The heavy gun and low recoil will build her confidence and interest.

Then, after she is comfortable with shooting the larger, lower recoiling gun, get her a .327/.32 H&R Mag or .38 Special in a J-Frame sized gun. Just be careful, because most, if not all of the .32 Mag guns come in an aluminum or titanium frame, which will increase the recoil greatly. Warn her of this beforehand and she might be pleasantly surprised. Remind her that a J-Frame is not for target shooting, but for self defense. She may not want to shoot it a lot, but will accept it for what it is, just like you and I would.

If she's an experienced shooter, I'd go straight to the .357/.38 in a J-Frame. Again, consider a lightweight model, because women generally (like my wife) carry a lot a crapola in their purses and appreciate the lighter weight. Remembering what I said about target guns versus self-defense guns, if the situation arose, she won't care about recoil anyway. And the .357.38 provides much better knock-down power.

Chris

·
37,283 Posts
Sophia. Take a long hard look at the Kel-Tec PF-9. Thinnest and lightest 9mm ever made Only a little bigger than my .380.

This will be my next SERIOUS gun buy. I intend to replace the .380 with it.

·
Registered
21,852 Posts
Don't forget to look at a wheelie S&W 38 Special with Crimson Trace..no aim necessary..put the red dot on the bad guy and go bang..my best freinds wife has one and WE use it every time we go shooting..wow! :bthumb:

·
Administrator
23,674 Posts
I had my former wife a Colt Detective Special. I thought it a perfect size and a good caliber....Wish I still had that pistol. What Smith are you using??? My wife and I are both pretty small frame and I am a revolver fan for defense pistol.....
I have a S&W 637. JetGirl has her twin. I love the light weight of its alloy frame -- which can make it a problem for some people to shoot.

·
Premium Member
37,528 Posts
Don't forget to look at a wheelie S&W 38 Special with Crimson Trace..no aim necessary..put the red dot on the bad guy and go bang..my best freinds wife has one and WE use it every time we go shooting..wow! :bthumb:
I've got the Taurus "flyweight" w crimson trace and I love it for the obvious reasons stated also. If you go this route you can start her on lighter loads for comfort and confidence. It carries very well, thus it gets carried. Wheel guns always go bang.:bthumb:

·
Registered
487 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Taurus 85 series, solid guns, good price. I personally don't like the total titanium models, the one I had made a perfect bullet puller with factory ammo and a strong grip. By the last shot or two, the cylinder wouldn't rotate or have to be wiggled to open. As long as you use light bullets with a heavy heavy crimp, you shoud be ok, but I managed to bullet pull fmj, silvertips and cor-bon with that lil blue monster! Also the recoil is harsh compared to my steel 85.

·
Registered
202 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Don't overlook the Ruger SP 101 in .327 Mag. It can shoot .32 H&Rs and the longer, hotter .327s. Having said that, don't overlook the Taurus 85 in 38 Special.

I have a Kel Tec PF 9 and it has pretty good recoil from being so light. A friend of my son shot it once and didn't want any more. She was however a total newbie with any handgun.

Leon

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update

We went to the gun show today and found 2 guns at one table she liked, a Taurus 85 in .38 spl and a Charter Arms in .32 H&R. Unfortunately the owner's asking prices were too steep for what they were and I couldn't get him to budge on either price.

She also liked how the S&W 637 felt but was afraid that it was too light weight and expensive to start out on. I think at this point in time she just wants to experiment with shooting some more to see if it is something she is interested in, and knows that if it isn't it is okay because if she doesn't use the gun I sure will.

Thanks for all the advice everyone , I really appreciate it.

·
Administrator
23,674 Posts
I think at this point in time she just wants to experiment with shooting some more to see if it is something she is interested in...
Good attitude :bthumb: I've found that most folks at the range are happy to let a new shooter try a few rounds through their guns if they express an interest in them. That and renting (if available where you shoot) is a great way to try on a few before getting too heavily invested.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good attitude :bthumb: I've found that most folks at the range are happy to let a new shooter try a few rounds through their guns if they express an interest in them. That and renting (if available where you shoot) is a great way to try on a few before getting too heavily invested.
Not too many ranges out where I'm at, but I own enough land that I can shoot all I want without worrying that the neighbors will complain (of course all the shooting may have scared them into not complaining about it :D). I think I may make the rounds this next couple of weeks and borrow guns from my relatives.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.