Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shot some for the first time in a 77/22. The are difficult to get chambered because of the shape of the slug. They have more "zip" than other subsonics I have tried.

Has anyone else had trouble chambering these? I had high hopes for these for tree rats but I dont like the way they chamber.

Mike

·
Registered
347 Posts
CCI SS-HP

They chamber tight in my cz but feed ok in my 10/22 and others. Hold it up next to another brand, the bearing surfaces are longer. When I chamber one and eject it I can see the riflings imprinted on the forward bearing band of the bullet. Also, because of these longer bearing surfaces, my cz has a bit of
trouble chambering them from a magazine. Very accurace and quiet though.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Kyle said:
They don't chamber in my 10/22 with Green Mountain barrel.
Same here...but i was hoping that was because my barrel was relatively new and maybe that had nothing to do with it. Now after 1k round through it, i think its not ever going to cycle this ammo. I sure do wish it did though...

·
Registered
347 Posts
Re: CCI SS-HP

Zack said:
They chamber tight in my cz but feed ok in my 10/22 and others. My 10/22 is stock barreled, should have said that in the first post. You guys have custom barrels with tighter chambers. I think CCI made this as a game bullet for over the counter rifles, kind of a bullet for the masses. Zack

·
Registered
113 Posts
KF9VH
I also had the same problem with CCI sub-sonics in a tight chambered Green Mountain barrel....... my gunsmith solved this problem by re-chambering it to a Bentz chamber. Now it chambers and ejects the CCI subies. In my opinion it was worth the $40 he charged for the service......this had no negative effect on the accuracy of this barrel, it will group the CCI sub and Auglia sub ammo into a .5" hole all day long at 50 yards... if I do my part. The CCI sub-sonic ammo is my favorite sub-sonic round hands down.......anyone want to trade your CCI subies for Reminton Sub-sonic's .....I have about 5 bricks of the Remington stuff?:t

·
Registered
62 Posts
Green Mountain Chamber

I thought the Green Mountain was a Bentz chamber.

I looked on the GM site but couldn't find any info. Can anyone confirm chamber specs on the Green Mountain barrels?

I haven't finished testing (playing :) ) with mine yet before doing any major changes.

The CCI subsonic hp is the round I really want to shoot. But I really hate to mess with the barrel in such a drastic manner, it shoots very nicely now. :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
mistem

Are you sure your 'smith didn't open the chamber up to standard sporter dimensions?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Kyle
I should explain.... I purchased my Green Mountain barrel for my 77/22 and immediately dropped it off at my gunsmiths for a bedding job and threading job for a supressor. This was before the first shot went down the tube. A couple of days later I picked up the weapon and proceeded to the range to test it out with a variety of sub- sonic ammo. I started the range session out with Remington sub- sonic .... dailed in my scope at 50 yards and shot a couple of groups in the 3/4" range. Next I went to the CCI sub- sonic ammo loaded up the clip and proceeded to shoot. My first round chambered snug....extremley snug, I fired the shot ...next round very snug.....I decided to try to eject it....it felt like it was shaving lead or brass during chambering and I wanted to inspect it.......no luck ejecting, ejector skipped right over the rim. I hadn't packed a cleaning rod with me this trip to the range ... so I fired the round...... after firing about 7 rounds I had a failure to eject the empty CCI case and was done shooting for the day.To make a long story short I felt that their was something not quite right, so on my way home I stopped back my gunsmiths and showed him the problem I just had experienced....apon extracting the case and closer inspection of the chamber with a bore scope.. he determined that the chamber was cut short and recommend re-chambering with a Bentz chamber. I would have sent this barrel back to Green Mountain , but I had already invested in the threading job and it shot great...minus the chambering problems with the CCI sub-sonic ammo. Sorry for the novel lenght post:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.