Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

CCI Green Tag

1513 17
I saw these at show today for $8 a box (50), Seemed a little high (along with everything else that was for sale there) so I didn't buy. I'm still experimenting with different types of ammo so I'd like to try them. Are the better than the mini mags? And how much do they sell for. (real world price, not the jacked up gun show price):(
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
I can't get green for that price up here, mostly a little under $10. I tried a couple of boxes but they didn't shoot very good in my cz varmint. It does shoot mini mags very well and I thought for sure greens would do good but no luck. They didn't shoot any better than the mini mags in my gun.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Try CCI Standard Velocity

I tried some Green Tag a while back in a comparison test and found the CCI Standard Velocity to shoot just as well and a whole lot cheaper. This was in my gun, so yours may vary. The Standard Velocity is one of the more common ammos used for our local woods walk shoots.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I've only seen Green Tag in 100 round boxes, and I'll bet that's what you saw, too. They go for $7.80/100 rds around here. I've found what the others say is true, the CCI Standard Velocity shoot just as well as Green Tag for about half the price. Mini Mags I've had lately don't do very well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My CZ 452 doesn't like the Green Tag, but my Ruger Single Six does. Go figure... It's around $8.00 / 100 rounds around here last time I checked, but I stopped buying it when I found that the CZ and the Ruger both liked Wolf MT. The Wolf is almost as accurate in the Ruger as the Geen Tag (so close, it's academic), and way more accurate in the CZ. YMMV...

·
Registered
16,533 Posts
I've found Green Tags for $7.95, but usually they are closer to ten bucks around here.

In my GM barrel, they outshoot any Eley's I've tried, but come in just under Wolf MT's and Lapua's for accuracy.

You'll never know how your gun likes them unless you try.

Ron

·
Registered
368 Posts
I've heard that green tags are just lots of Std. velocity that have a tendency to be more accurate, so if Green Tag works well, so will std. velocity.

Not sure if it's true though...Can't remeber where I heard it from.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hit and miss for me

I had one batch of Green Tags that shot well, although not superb. But the next batch that I bought shot soooo poorly that I thought I had botched a bedding job. One batch shot mid .4's 10 shot at 50 yds. - Next batch sprayed 1.50" while Wolf MT pulled down into the .3's. I don't think that I will buy anymore of Greentag but you may find it works better in your rifle.

D.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
It's been a long time since I bought any Green Tag--the last I bought was about 4.00 per hundred. We used to shoot it at 25 yards indoors--it didn't do well in my rifles at 50 yards for some reason, although it was very good in my Krico 340 Match rifle at 25!! Tenex beat it badly at 50 yards. As always, it depends on the rifle. I'd choose Wolf MT over it--even for the same money.

·
Registered
383 Posts
A good lot of CCI standard velocity is almost as good as Green Tag.

A friend that uses Green Tag in his position rifle for competition uses the standard velocity for practice.

They shoot the same zero.

Green Tag shoots just slightly better groups. Just enough to make them better for serious work.

His rifle will not shoot the Wolf well.

He still uses a Marlin 2000 against rifles costing four times as much and can still stay in the running.

He can shoot.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can't count I guess? Only have ten fingers and ten toes anything over 20 and I'm in the hurt locker. It was a 100 round box. Thanks for the input, I think I'll try em' if I can find them. Is it really cost effective to buy ammo online or mail order? I'm getting a Bushmaster and I'm gonna need alot of .223. I don't mind 4 to 5 bucks here and there to stock up on mini mags, but I'd rather buy .223 by 500 or 1000 round lots if it will save me money.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have been shooting CCI Standard velocity and CCI Green Tag in my CZ452 ultra lux. They both shoot very well, but I have noticed tighter groups and less fliers with the Green Tag.

The last time I shot I was getting 1 or 2 fliers per 5rd group with the Standard velocity, thought it was me, but then tried the Green Tag and no more fliers.

So far out of everything Ihave tried the Green Tag has been the most consistent and shot the tightest groups.

·
Registered
46 Posts
kenmc said:
Have any of you had a lot of mis fires with the green tag? I did, and contacted CCI. They told me I was the first to report miss fires to them with green tag.
Never had one misfire with any CCI ammo I have shot. It has been the most reliable ammo I have used so far in my .22.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.