Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

CCI CB Longs or Colibri

482 Views 3 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  ElrodCod
I am looking for the absolute quietest ammo, without buying a silencer, how do the super colibri, and colibri compare to the cb's?

Thanks
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
456 Posts
super col and regular col are super quiet out of my rifle, never gotten one stuck in the long 22inch barrel with a match chamber, they are the quietest, but for a lot more power and accuracy, use the cb's. Why do you want the silence?

· Registered
2,569 Posts
waltonshooter,

Here is the "secret" for quiet shooting:

Don't look for quiet ammo.

Look for a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong barrel, in a rifle.

You may wish to look for something in the 26-inch length neighborhood, or even 29" up to 32" (they are not very common but they are out there, forgotten, even neglected by people -- like me -- who are constantly searching for the shortest legal length barrel available, as short a carbine as a short carbine can get).

Long-barrelled rifles, usually match ones like the Feinwerkbau 2000 (26" bbl) single action target (long discontinued but can be found, even online), are shooting CB's very quitely, indeed.

In fact, regular bog-standard subsonic LR ammo will not be much louder than CBs, when shot through these long guns, with their bull barrels, more like Super Colibris from a 22-incher.

Using standard velocity Shorts (avoid the HVs), make the long bbl'd rifles sound like airguns.

I knew of this "secret" for a while, but had never experienced it, until recently.

Ammo is loud.

Long barrels are quiet.

A test shoot with these long necks may be enlightening for the uninitiated, as well as easy on the eardrums.

Crete

· Registered
1,557 Posts
waltonshooter said:
I am looking for the absolute quietest ammo, without buying a silencer, how do the super colibri, and colibri compare to the cb's?

Thanks
Both Colibri & Super Colibri are quieter than the CB longs out of a rifle. The Super being just a tad louder & quicker than the Colibri. Both are effective on small game out to fifty feet or so. However, not all rifles are able to fire the Colibri rounds without lodging in the bore so be careful. I've also had a fair amount of misfires with them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.