Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am a die hard .22 Magnum fan however since my 1712 LR purchase I have been wondering how the .17 HRM Annies shoot? I am in a funny mood and craving long range accuracy from a rimfire. (This could lead to trouble :))

Any pics of rifle and targets would be appreciated.:D

·
Registered
15,164 Posts
I've never tested mine on targets,but my range experience(which is basically sniping at small rocks or refuse on the backstop hill there) tells me there is nothing like these laser beams for fun.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never tested mine on targets,but my range experience(which is basically sniping at small rocks or refuse on the backstop hill there) tells me there is nothing like these laser beams for fun.
It is very addictive. I have a really nice custom 10/22 Magnum with a VQ Snake barrel and an awesome custom walnut stock made by LeRoy and Connie at Canyon Creek. My only worry is that IF I were to get an HMR, I know one of the two rifles would sit in the safe. :confused: But on the other hand I do own 2 LR rifles and use each just as much as the other.......carp (imagine the sound of a cash register opening) :D

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I am a die hard .22 Magnum fan however since my 1712 LR purchase I have been wondering how the .17 HRM Annies shoot? I am in a funny mood and craving long range accuracy from a rimfire. (This could lead to trouble :))

Any pics of rifle and targets would be appreciated.:D
For a local 200 yard club match, I borrowed a friend's 1517. I mounted my T-24 and put 4 different loads through it. While probably not conclusive, I ended up putting several hundred rounds through this rifle and a couple others to determine which would provide the best grouping ability at 200 yards.

Here is a picture of a typical 200 yards group I fired with it.

Not terrible, but I did find another to shoot better with the ammo selection I had.

·
Premium Member
58,674 Posts
Can't say what you'll get from one but my 1717D has done extremely well on occasion.

and today at our gun clubs rimfire fun shoot I put 6 shots in .456 inches edge to edge on a prairie dog target to win one of our 100 yard events. Will it do it every time, no but its pretty consistent 1/2 to 3/4 inch center to center shooter at 100 yards if I do my part. Good luck with your decision.:bthumb:

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
run for the money

Sheesh! You fell for that Gerald?......Shame on you!.....Stereotypical Scotty lures 'em all in with prizes and stuff, then waxes their little butts like the Knights of Templar through another English assault on Scotland!!....."Dickerson" indeed!!!:D :bthumb: (Sorry, just could not resist the incredible paradox, now back to our regularly scheduled program......)
The Vartarg just recently gained 300FPS by switching from 30gr bullet weight down to the 26 gr. Barnes, can't help but wonder what would happen at 100 yards if there was any sort of wind with the 30gr 22MAG's now running at some 2400. Haven't really spent the time there, but I think it is a valid question.:) Then there's always the threat of the CZ that threatens to offer the 5mm in 2009, if the ammo people get the primer issues straightened out it could get interesting. Time of flight vs. bullet weight. The equation begins to slide on over as the larger bores begin to close down on the HMR's speed advantage. I think maybe I get a lot more breeze up here more often in the thin half mile high desert-like air, so I think prevailing conditions will play a role in the best answer.
Other than that, that little HMR is just so stinkin' inherintly accurate, it just wants to do it.:)

·
Premium Member
58,674 Posts
Relatively safe in this event Skeeter, Scotties' too busy running it to shoot himself, lol, but I did notice he didn't offer to let anyone else shoot his Canyon Creek creation either!:eek: What a pal huh. The Anschutz's put up a good show in both 50 yard and 100 yard, the other two games at 100 yards were won by a "excellent" shooter with a 54 series 22 lr., thats strong shooting. Coopers did well in the 50 yard shooting with a friend of Scottie and I, Peter Irving tying for first in the IBS 50 card with 250 5x, I didn't fare so well with a 247 6x from my 1710HB. A local centerfire BR shooter always does well with his vintage model 52 and a Lyman Super spot 25x. Lots of good competition and food and fellowship, Scott does a heck of a job with it!:bthumb:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Bull,s- Eye,

I have annie,s in 22lr .17hmr and 22mag. I seem to favor the 1720,especially with a little wind.
It is just as good as the .17 at 100 yards.
There is a cz in my closet that at 50 is just as good or better that anything that I own.
I love the extra gusto of the 22mag.

Joe

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
I still regret to this day not buying a 1720 when they were being closed out at Champions or CDNN for 7-800 bucks.... :(

I do most of my hunting with .22 or 17HM2 to lessen meat damage, but sure woulda liked to add one to the stable anyhow. :)

Oh well, at least I have that caliber covered now by the Biathlon Basic in 22 mag. :)

·
Registered
5,327 Posts

The 64 action seems to always take some work to get them to shoot, but the beefy 54 action just does without much of anything. I think I like both HMR and 22MAG, but for different reasons. In any kinda wind, the HMR is a PIA. With no wind, it's inherint accuracy is just scary.
If I was Scotty I wouldn't let anyone else shoot it either.:D :bthumb:
I read about that phenomina once in a book by Steven Covey entitled "The seven habits of highly effective people".
I say if you want to take a ride, sign up on Leroys list and wait your turn.:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.