Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Can You Open Carry In Your State?

1189 30
Gun Digest the Magazine ran an article in this latest issue about openly carrying your weapon legally. This is the website they mention to learn more about this subject.

Thought some of our readers might find it interesting.

http://www.opencarry.com/opencarry.html

Best regards ~ ~ ~ GGN

Yes, I carry a gun, 'cause a cop is too heavy!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
2,519 Posts
kentucky is a open carry state and i have a concealed permit as well. i wear a fubus paddle holster in the summer and a jackass rig in the winter monthes for my concealed carry. if you live in a open carry state i would advice everybody to do so. you might be surprised at just how many are doing it anyway.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Yes, we can. Yes, I do. Pretty much always, except in certain conditions when I legally conceal.

It's not a new concept, as some would have others believe. I've been doing it since I was in my mid-teen years. Never had a problem with it.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
As I said in a few other threads on this topic...

No, not a great idea, not for me anyway. I like the element of surprise, no need to let the bad guys know what I have.

Add to that the freaking out of non gun people. Next thing you know they are crying and writting letters...then our sissy lawmakers are passing laws to further restrict our gun rights.

I carry and nobody but me needs to know.

·
Registered
834 Posts

No, not a great idea, not for me anyway. I like the element of surprise, no need to let the bad guys know what I have.

Add to that the freaking out of non gun people. Next thing you know they are crying and writting letters...then our sissy lawmakers are passing laws to further restrict our gun rights.

Well amigo...

Surprise is a good tactic for assault, but not so good for defense. A person who intends to assault/rob you isn't going to give you warning. It's not like in the movies, and they'll use surprise to their advantage.

Ya think they'll know what you're up to when you reach under your shirt?

As far as people who may be offended, I've actually found the opposite to be true. Most are not offended, and for those who are, the more they're exposed to it, the more they get used to it.

I'm 42, and have been open carrying since I was about 15-16 years old. Never had a problem, and have never seen anyone freak out over my carrying a firearm openly. I'm polite, and treat people with respect, and I figure that helps folks realise that good folks carry firearms, too.

Open carry is more comfortable, especially in summer heat.

You know, there was a time when folks felt that concealed carry was bad, and actually banned it in most of this great country. They felt that open carry was better.

Of course, criminals don't obey the law, and conceal with or without the law's consent.

Daryl

·
Registered
623 Posts
I find it strange that Texas, the State thought of as "*******, gunslingers" doesn't allow it. Granted I carry Concealed 90% of the time. and nothing while @ work. (hospitals and their rules).

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Well amigo...

Surprise is a good tactic for assault, but not so good for defense. A person who intends to assault/rob you isn't going to give you warning. It's not like in the movies, and they'll use surprise to their advantage.

Ya think they'll know what you're up to when you reach under your shirt?

As far as people who may be offended, I've actually found the opposite to be true. Most are not offended, and for those who are, the more they're exposed to it, the more they get used to it.

I'm 42, and have been open carrying since I was about 15-16 years old. Never had a problem, and have never seen anyone freak out over my carrying a firearm openly. I'm polite, and treat people with respect, and I figure that helps folks realise that good folks carry firearms, too.

Open carry is more comfortable, especially in summer heat.

You know, there was a time when folks felt that concealed carry was bad, and actually banned it in most of this great country. They felt that open carry was better.

Of course, criminals don't obey the law, and conceal with or without the law's consent.

Daryl
I am NOT an amigo first of all.

Second I am 53 and have carried concealed since I was 21.

Third, you do whatever floats your boat. Just don't expect me to follow.

You seem to think it is a good idea for a person that wants to rob you or whatever to know you have a gun. Maybe you think that will scare him off. I don't see it that way. If someone wants to do something and see that I have a gun I expect that I will take his first shot since I am his biggest problem. I would rather let him think I am just another sheep.

I think it looks stupid and I am a gun lover. I see it as a person trying to look tough with a gun on his side. I saw a guy walking around the flea market last Sunday and he really thought he was something. If I wanted to I could have walked up behind him, took it from his holster and slapped him around with it.

No...I'll go concealed.

First rule of handguns for defence in public is to never pull it out or let others know you have it until you intend to shoot. When you show it on your side you have already broken that rule.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I am NOT an amigo first of all.

Second I am 53 and have carried concealed since I was 21.

Third, you do whatever floats your boat. Just don't expect me to follow.

You seem to think it is a good idea for a person that wants to rob you or whatever to know you have a gun. Maybe you think that will scare him off. I don't see it that way. If someone wants to do something and see that I have a gun I expect that I will take his first shot since I am his biggest problem. I would rather let him think I am just another sheep.

I think it looks stupid and I am a gun lover. I see it as a person trying to look tough with a gun on his side. I saw a guy walking around the flea market last Sunday and he really thought he was something. If I wanted to I could have walked up behind him, took it from his holster and slapped him around with it.

No...I'll go concealed.

First rule of handguns for defence in public is to never pull it out or let others know you have it until you intend to shoot. When you show it on your side you have already broken that rule.
:yeahthat:

Well, except for the part about being 53. Sorry GH you got a few years on me.:D

·
Banned
2,519 Posts
much like everything else what works for one doesn't for another. i carry open in the summer, and carry concealed in the winter when a coat is worn almost everyplace. i have a nice leather jackass rig for winter carry. what works for one doesn't the other. we see alot of open carry around here and with the home invassions on the up rise i'm sure we'll see alot more. there has been a very large jump in crime around here lately. jobs leaving our town and drug use on the rise. homes are being broke into in brod day light with people home!!! just last week a guy was home and 2 guys tried to brake in and rob him. he held them with his pistol until the sheriff got there to arrest them. we're exspecting the judge to slap them on the wrist and turn them loose again. we need better judges:mad: !!!!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does Age Count, Kids?

It 'pears I got you youngsters by 20 or so years. If experience is the issue... ;)

I've been carrying BOTH open (in CO) and concealed (everyplace else, including some spots you would NEVER expect) and I too choose concealed. However, when I started this thread it was NOT intended to spark discussion. It was simply meant to be informative.

But since everyone seems to want to debate this issue...

Open carry is admittedly more comfortable, but a 1911A1 .45acp with a belt clip, and a long-tailed shirt covering the cannon, THAT TOO is concealed. I've finally retired and have no plans of ever wearing a shirt with the tail tucked in - except maybe at my funeral. :bthumb:

Living in "The Gunshine State" simplifies life for carry, but our laws don't allow open.

IMHO it's like stated previously, "whatever floats your boat." Just be happy you live in a country where you can even OWN a gun. When the elections come up, DON'T GO "O" and we may even KEEP that right for a while yet.

Best regards ~ ~ ~ GGN

·
Registered
608 Posts
I started the process to renew my carry concealed permit today here in NC. What a pain ! Now they already have my two sets of fingerprints on file and I have gone through the class already, renew is $75 for 5 years. Filled out the form. No I'm not a criminal, No I'm not a drug addict, No I don't beat my wife, No I'm not mentally ill. Sign and fill out a new extra form to give them permission to look into my health records to make sure I have not been committed. Hand the lady at the window the form and my NC DV to verify I'm me. hand her the $75 bucks and she gives me my copy of the paper work back and a receipt for the money and .......... No permit! I have to wait 8 to 10 weeks for my renewal permit ! :eek: Just like a new applicant. If it where not for the advantage of being able to wip out the permit fill in the form and hand my cash for any gun (long or short)and walk out the door , I would not bother. But if I want a handgun I have to get a handgun permit for each gun If I don't have the carry permit. Same place to get them and $10 each. I guess it is worth it but what a hassle. But when I got the original permit they told me 8 to 10 weeks and it took 3. I hole the process as fast for a renewal.

APEXDUCK

·
Registered
837 Posts
I spoke to the state police about this today.

Mississippi is not an open carry state with the exception of your property including your business and car. There you can carry open or concealed if you want to without a license. Most anywhere else it must be concealed and have a permit to do so. The permit is $100 plus $27 for finger prints plus you must provide pass port type photo. It is good for 4 years and renewal is $50. There are certain restriction were you can't carry at all.

I forgot to mention the 120 day wait. You will wait the full 120 days before you get the permit if you pass the back ground check. The police didn't mention anything about open carry of long guns. This may or may not have restrictions. I just didn't think to ask.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
I have read the 2nd Amendment many times but didn't notice anything about asking permission.

Yes we have it better than most but it could be better.

·
Registered
99 Posts
apexduck -

you got it right. i'm in the middle of applying for a CCW in upstate NY & plan to post my trials & tribulations.....someday - if i ever get the permit granted. it'll take a few pages when it's all done, but it'll be an interesting read!

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
In my state, we *can*...but...

THAT^

Plus, if I'm standing in line at a bank minding my own business and one of the tellers trips the alarm because some dude is robbing her...I don't want the first thing the cops see when they come rushing in to be a gun strapped anywhere on ME. No thank you.:bthumb:

·
Registered
456 Posts
no offense JG, but who carries in a bank? besides the ultra stupid?? i mean, even stupid people should have enough sense to say "gosh if i go into that bank packin' my gat for everyone to see or at all they might call the po-po and put me away for rest of my prime street years." or something to that effect.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
I open carry quite a bit in the summer. My usall atire in the summer is a T shirt and blue jeans, its kind of hard to keep one hidden like that! So in the summer I mainly carry my Taurus Millennium Pro 45 auto with a inside the pants holster, I have my permit so when I go in a store or someplace I make sure my T shirt is pulled down over it, so I dont attract attention. Usally I dont care if it shows or not, I just look at it like a deterrent, if you were a crook and you pull into a gas station to rob it and theres someone standing there pumping gas with a pistol on their side, are you going to go through with your plan, or drive on down the road? Now in the colder months when Im wearing a jacket you can bet that Sig 220 is under there somewhere!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.