Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,

well i'm even closer to my 597 LR to Mag conversion. Yesterday i won ebay auction for new & complete 597 magnum trigger assembly for $21 included shipping. Good deal huh!.

So now i got all the major components new Barrel ($16), new trigger assembly($21).

My question is can some of you guys please weigth (in grams, it's more precise) your Magnum bolt with the little parts like ejector but wihtout the bolt handle. Someone on here said that the Magnum bolt is heavier then the LR. I don't think it is as ChiefDave said nothing about it in his description of the conversion, but i want to be sure.

Thanks a lot.

halik.

P.S.: I will post pictures of the progress.

·
Registered
504 Posts
You were supposed to wait and buy my trigger group:( Just kiddin'. I have mine out (Just got it back from CPC) and will weigh it for you tonite on a baby scale (if it works). I have been workin' on my stock for my 597. Ordered an unfinished Ross from Boyds. It has taken alot of work though and still have alot left to do. I CAN'T WAIT TO POST A PICTURE OF THIS BAD BOY!!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gander

Sorry, man. It was such a good price i couldn't pass it up. I would have to wait a long time before you could sell me yours. And the one i bought was new & complete! By the way how much was the stock and what are you doing to it??

EdJ597,

yes the receiver and stock fit both magnum and LR. Please to a search for "597 conversion" and you will find ChiefDave's post that's all about it,

halik

·
Registered
504 Posts
Halik, I don't know what I was thinking - this baby scale thing wasn't going to work. So I called Remington for you. They said that the Magnum bolt is "quite a bit heavier" and that if you had the two in your hands you could easily tell the difference. I don't know how much that helps you but...........?

I am not really doing ALL that much to the Ross stock for my 597 Magnum. I did recut the forend for a more "aggressive" look. I also had to sand the barrel channel a ton for the .920 barrel and did quite a bit of sanding to get the action to fit just right. Also had to enlarge the rear screw hole. I still have to take a bit off directly behind the receiver as the action sits low. Other than that, finish sanding and putting the actual finish on. The stock cost $80 from Boyds, and if you are considering one you better hurry as they have been discontinued.

·
Registered
57 Posts
stocks

You might want to look at boyds website under the specials. I was looking the other day and they had nutmeg laminate that were unfinished and had the bull ballel channel for $26.17!!! I guess since they discontinued them, they are just trying to move them. As of 2-26-03 they had 12 stocks in stock.

pip

·
Registered
504 Posts
I got the last pepper laminate unfinished. They still have a pepper finished for just over $130 and a nutmeg unfinished for $80. Halik - what are you weighing your bolt with???? The only thing I can think of to get a precise measurement with is a RCBS powder scale. But the bolt may be too heavy for that.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
gander,

Thanks for the effort. The weight is no longer needed. As it turned out the magnum does not fit in the receiver with the LR bolt. So now i need magnum bolt also.

Does anybody know good place to get remington parts for cheap??

I tried Brownell's and Midway, but none carry any 597 parts.

Numrich has them for $126, WTH??

thanks

halik

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
gander,

one more request. Can you post picture os the magnum ejector(the one in the trigger assebly) and the bottom of the magnum bolt if you can??

I want to see how is the LR different from the Magnum.

thanks a lot.

halik

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
gander,

thanks again, but never mind. It seems that the magnum bolt is hard to find and on pricey side, so I'm probably going to trade off the parts and stick with my .22lr.

halik

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.