Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all

My brother and I have long wanted to take about a month's camping holiday in one of the States, my question (predictably!) regards firearms/hunting laws in the various states/counties of the US. Ideally, we'd like to hike into a reasonably unpopulated, wooded area, set up camp & largely feed ourselves 'off the land' fishing & shooting the odd rabbit/game bird etc. (With just, say a twelve bore & a .22 rifle) As I'm sure you can imagine, there just isn't the space to be able to do anything similar over here & it'd be a good way of seeing some of the stunning scenery of many of your states. So just how foolhardy/illegal would such an undertaking be!? Does such 'public land' exist anywhere these days? I know you have a fair few more varieties of dangerous 'critters' over there, both of the four and two legged varieties, but don't know much about how they're distributed... Any info or suggestions you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks for all your help in advance.

Spike

·
Registered
737 Posts
Spike,

Well there are a few problems. Of course I live in the eastern part of the US and we don't really have the space for that around here. Possibly out west. I'd start looking into the game laws in western states like colorado, montana, idaho, or wyoming. Alaska in the summertime might be your best bet.

As you are looking at maps and planning your trek remember that you can usually carry firearms in national forrests, but not in national parks or monuments.

I think the biggest problem will be the firearms. Unless you own them already in Britian and bring them with you, you will have a problem purchasing them here as a non resident. Any purchase from a federally licensed gun dealer is not allowed to non residents. State gun laws vary quite a bit, so some of them may allow you to make a private purchase from an individual.

A month is a long time to survive. The meat from fish and game won't be a varied enough diet and the rest of the food and gear you need will be very heavy to last a month.

Sounds like a fun adventure. have you ever seen the movie "Deliverance"?

·
Registered
319 Posts
"Importing Instruments of War to the US"

Spike,

At one time it was fairly simple to take a firearm to the USA on a trip - a quick letter to the BAFT would have them send you forms to apply for an import permit for "an instrument of war"(sounds silly for your 10/22 doesn't it?) - fill it in send it back and 8 weeks later you had a temporary permit for import - you STILL need to be careful about state and local laws.

But since 9/11this has changed and the US is much more concerned about "aliens" entering their country with firearms.

I believe that in much the same way as we ask for foreign visitors to have a "sponsor" you now need to be going to a formal event, or hunting at a given pre-arranged place in the US.

If you visit the UK NRA website www.nra.org.uk you will find details relating to the processes for this import permit post 9/11 and a warning that the process now takes several months.

Given that civil / federal aviation authority requirements will require firearms to be shipped in a locked hard case, you should bear in mind you have to carry that around or find somewhere to store it at your point of entry into the US.

E-mail me your number and I'll call you and give you some ideas on how to get to some great wilderness areas for your holiday.

Good luck,

English.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.