Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was at Gander Mountain today and pick up a Lohman Squirrel Bark Call. $8.00. Later that day I was over at my parents eating some dinner and while we ate dessert and chatted on the back patio I got out my new little toy. Well over the next hour I manage to call in 5 nice looking fox squirrel, two pairs and a solo. All of them were well with in shotting with my open sight single shot 22 and one I could have taken with my 22 piston. Well squirrel season is not in yet and my parents live in the suburbs so shooting them wasn't and option even if it was in season but I was thoroughly impressed with the call. Squirrel season comes in here in Ohio on August 17 and I can't wait. I am really looking foward to getting out there and give it a try. Has anyone else out there ever played with calling squirrels? Tips trick would be great. It seemed pretty easy and work pretty good to0.

Later
mcb

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
To be or not to be that is... Oh sorry wrong question..

Well,
I live in central Minnesota, where fox squirrels are seldom seen and even more seldom shot. Grays, Blacks, Reds, Chipmunks.
I have used a chatter call several times. First time I used it I was in more of a Red Squirrel area (jack pines and swamps) I think I had one or two respond, by chattering back. They didn't come to it. Didnt really use it more than a couple times that day.

Second time I was in prime Gray and Black area. Oak, Birch, every where. Used it right away my friend cuaght movement out in front moving down the tree. Whack! Dead squirrel. Anyways results from that day: 5 grays and 2 blacks and passed up 10 other grays becuase we didnt want to cross to other ridges to get within range.

Final conclusion, the call I used (cant remeber the brand name) worked better on the grays/blacks and I assume fox squirrels it would work good on aswell.

Dean_311

·
Registered
463 Posts
In this part of Iowa it`s Fox Squirrel or nothing. I am a Sitting Hunter. Get in a good area and sit down and watch.
I use the Calls when one of those pesky critters decides to lay out on a limb, so all you see is a knob on the limb. A few barks will normally get them to look up so you can get a headshot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.