Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

caliper help

499 7
does any body know where i can find calipers
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
What type of caliper do you want? I assume you are refering to a dial caliper. You might try Sears or one of the gunsmithing supply websites ( brownells, midway etc). Actually any place that sells precision tools will have them. Stay away from vernier calipers. Dial calipers are much easier to read. Good luck.

· Registered
1,134 Posts
Check your local pawn shops first. Take a pin of a known diameter, and check the readout in several places along the jaws. Some of the known brands would be Browne and Sharpe, Starrett, Mitutoyo, Helios, Craftsman..........

NOT IN ORDER OF COST OR QUALITY......THOSE TWO ITEMS ARE VERY SUBJECTIVE.

· Registered
16,533 Posts
The other end of the curve is the cheapie Chinese calipers at Harbor Freight. $19.95 for dial calipers. Now I KNOW someone is gonna scream and dive in here head first about them...however.... since I'm not using them 8 hours a day in a quality control job, and the fact that they check out dead nuts accurate against my STARRETT mics, I'll say given consideration for how they are used, they do just Jim Dandy.

I'll also admit that were money not a consideration, I would have bought Starrett or Brown & Sharpe. In a heartbeat. But with care and light usage, the big bucks namebrands wont read any more accurately than the Chinese CEN-TEC's.

Ron

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.