Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats your guys thoughts on these?

are these going to be decent for BR shooting or should I save the $$ for a good front rest?

My main concern is height. Obviously theres not much way to adjust that with bags.:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't have any experience with the bags in question, but a cheap and easy way to make bags is to go to the craft store and get a bag of small plastic beads. Either buy some denim material or use the pants legs from old jeans and make bags that are sized to fit your needs. The plastic beads are inert, weigh next to nothing and work very well for the purpose.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
PCDreams

Just my opinion. I have Caldwell bags and use them. I like the portability. BUT, when I'm really serious about accuracy I use a front rest made by Wichita Arms. Weighs about 30 pounds with the owl ear bag and even my .30-378 doesn't bounce it around. However, it is a bit of bear to lug around.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Caldwell bags are great for most shooting; they are well made and heavy enough not to move about.

They of course are not as good as a high priced adjustable rest… but also do not have that high price. I keep a couple of short 1x6” boards in my range box I use to adjust the height of my bag up.

My Caldwell bag does 95% of the service of a high priced rest at a fraction of the cost.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My bags are low tech.....

......and low price, but they suit me better than anything else I've used. I went to my bank and asked the teller (and then the Branch Manager) for an old fashioned coin sack. they are made out of canvas and are very strong and durable. I filled them 2/3 to 3/4 with dry sand and secured it with a hose clamp.....which I then taped so it would'nt scratch my rifles. It does a good job for me.......

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Caldwell bags on the way

we ordered the set. Should be here on Tuesday. I'll give em a try. Worse that could happen is I'd have to buy a rest later on. Will be steady enough to see if its me or the rifle though ;)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Re: Caldwell bags on the way

PCDreams said:
we ordered the set. Should be here on Tuesday. I'll give em a try. Worse that could happen is I'd have to buy a rest later on. Will be steady enough to see if its me or the rifle though ;)
imo they are more than steady enough for casual shooting of a rimfire...if they can be used on a ar15 v-match. i dont think a 22 is gonna phase it...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.