Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am agonising over which rifle to get for plinking and light bench rest. I have been looking at the 28" barreled C.Z. I have been told they are very accurate, but I am not sure about that long, thin barrel. However, the bottom line is, how do they shoot? How do they compare accuracy wise with the Varmint & Lux models? Any comments would be appreciated. In Australia, they are about 100 bucks cheaper than the other C.Z.s.

·
Registered
669 Posts
CZ with 28 inch barrel

I am not sure which rifle fits the 28" category but I am guessing it might be the one listed by the company as CZ 452 Training which
they list as having a 24.8 in. bbl.
I have shot this rifle and find it equally accurate as the Varmit and
likes the same ammo.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think this may be the Ultra Lux which is not on the current CZ website. My understanding is they are part of an overrun for some Middle Eastern government. I guess they were to be military training rifles. I've heard the supply is running low, but they can still be found for $199.

I got one last week, but can't say how it shoots because I'm still getting the barrel cleaned out and I got it to be an open sight gun and have no scope on it. Even with the long, skinny barrel, accuracy should be about the same as Varmint or American.

Mine is a cool gun. Lots of folks scope them though the humped stock may not be the best for scope use.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have the ultralux with the 28.75"

I haven't scoped mine, and I am not planning on it anytime soon cause the sights are really nice and I want an open sight rimfire. The barrel is long, but not whippy or out of balance. I really like it, but if that extra 4" of barrel bothers you, then get a CZ american or varmint. The ultralux also has about 1" longer LOP due to the recoil pad, and it has a rasied cheekrest. Great rifle for the $

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I have one, it is called the Ultra Lux , barrel marked BRNO 2500. Mine shoots actually a little better than my other CZ .22 LR rifles (2 others), plus it does not sound as loud as other .22's, I believe this is because of the longer barrel!

·
Registered
793 Posts
I have one. The action is marked CZ 452 and the barrel is marked BRNO 2500. I'm at work so I don't have the piece in front of me; the barrel is 28" long and it shoots very well.

I just got it Sunday which was my birthday as well as Father's day so the $250 I spent on it did double duty present-wise.

It took 40 minutes with patches brushes solvent and degreaser to ger the cosmolint (or whatever it was) out of the bore.

I shot 6 different brands/types of ammo thru it saturday afternoon andd it shot everything I tried at least OK. Sunday I shot a USBR target at 50 yds with federal AE 22 (36 gn HV HP) and scored 218-1x.

Go for it!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They seem to go by different names in different countries! In Australia, they are called "Super Brnos". Apart from the 28" barrel, they have a Beech stock, cheek-piece & recoil pad to make them different from the other C.Z.s I have seen. Thanks for your possitive replies.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Jack they are also the ONLY CZ rimfire I know of with a GOLD trigger :D
I've got one and it shoots GREAT!!!! My personal best on the USBR targets is a 244 with it.
Paul

·
Registered
80 Posts
Mine is marked on top of barrel 'Super Brno SAA 2500' with 'CZ452 -2E ZKM' on left side of reciever. Barrel is 28 inches or there abouts and it has the gold anodized trigger. Stock is reddish orage and has raised cheek piece with rubber butt pad. Barrel appears to be floated back to approximately 1 inch in front of rear sight.

I automatically put scope on all rimfires but this gem has me hesitating. With addition of a 1 inch copy of a military sling it has even improved my offhand shooting (which I thought was forever gone) Bad eyesight and all I think I will keep it as is and enjoy.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Brno 2500 Target

Cant get pic uploaded to my web page and cant seem to post any image to forum. Shooting from bench my Brno 2500 groups 5 shots at 50 yds consistently at 1.0-1.25 inches using CCI SV (NRA 50 yd small bore target). Probably would group better if the shooter didnt see the black area as a smeared tiny blob at 50 yds. I am tempted to scope it just to see how well it will shoot but am afraid I may not want to take scope off and I bought this one for iron sight plinking.

·
Registered
23 Posts
DWARREN123 said:
I got mine at Whittaker Guns in Owensboro Kentucky, $199.00 before taxes. WWW.WHITTAKERGUNS.COM
You got the 28" barrelled CZ for 199 dollars??? :eek: (desperately looking for one locally)

el solo said:
The ultralux also has about 1" longer LOP due to the recoil pad, and it has a rasied cheekrest. Great rifle for the $
With a 1" longer LOP, is it more that 13.5 inches LOP? Thanx!

·
Registered
278 Posts
If your looking for a CZ Ultra Lux 28" barrel (aslo called a Super BRNO 2500) try Wulff's Gun Shop in Connersville, Indiana (765) 825-8455. As of today 6/23/03, he has six priced at $189.00.

These guns are definitely quieter than the shorter barrels. I was worried about the long barrel being wippy, but there is no sign of that. This Ultra shoots on par with my Varmint. My daughter and I are shooting our best scores (500/500) with these guns. The Ultra is hard to beat with Eric Brook's trigger.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too have looked at the "2500" Ultra Lux, wringing my hands with indecision, salivating slightly.

I have the CZ452 Lux and a Scout for the kids. Love 'em (the rifles and the kids).

At first I thought that with that long, thin barrel even the mild harmonics of the .22LR would cause accuracy to be diminished slightly.

Why so long a barrel, did they try to match the O.A.L. or sight radius of the service rifle of the mystery mid-east nation? How long a barrel before the .22LR "drags", 30"?

Then I heard very favorable, credible reports of local shooters' accuracy at 50, 100 & 150 yards, as well as the positive reports here.

And it is an absolutely graceful rifle.

If I do get one, however, that rubber pad will have to go. ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
eraser5 said:
If your looking for a CZ Ultra Lux 28" barrel (aslo called a Super BRNO 2500) try Wulff's Gun Shop in Connersville, Indiana (765) 825-8455. As of today 6/23/03, he has six priced at $189.00. <clip>
Thanx! Two of them now have my local dealers name on them...and one is slated for me (thru my local dealer), soon as the FFL/monies reaches them! Feels like Christmas is just-around-the-corner...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.