Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been here long. My sons are old enough to have bought their first guns:
Harrington & Richards bolt action 865 plainsman .22lr with ultra dot scope (elder son)
Marlin 25n .22lr (younger son)
I couldn't be the only male in the house without a rifle, so I put a CZ 452 trainer/special on layaway here in Flagstaff. Hopefully, we're going to enjoy some plinking together. The younger son and I went through the local Gun Safety Class. Our neighbor is what I would classsify as a "shooter" and I'm sure we'll learn a lot from him. I've done a lot of hunting/plinking in the midwest while growing up, but I'd like to "learn" how to shoot.

In my past, I've enjoyed refinishing my own stocks... hand rubbed oil finish. I would love to get a fancy walnut "unfinished" stock for the 452 Trainer. Besides Boyds... and I don't even know if Boyds will fit the lux/trainer, are there other stock dealers out there who definitely make unfinished stocks for the CZ Trainer/Lux.

Thank-you everyone in advance for your help. The last gun I owned, a beautiful Marlin 22mag with tigerstriped hand finished black walnut stock was sold so I could go on my honeymoon. Now, 21 years later, I'm entering the .22 caliber world with a CZ. I figure I can keep shooting the Trainer with the beech stock, while the "new" one takes the requisite many weeks to do.

regards,
iwc3 "kent"

·
Registered
10,623 Posts
Contact Claude Gatewood at www.claudegatewood.com
I just got one of his unfinished stocks for my trainer and they are excellent. just put the first coat of tung oil on it tonight. It is the same shape as the factory stock on with some real nice walnut wood. The inletting was superb.
Look under the Ready to Ship at the left hand Lux stock it is the same as the trainer stock.

Welsome to RFC

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank-you Recumbent...

I really look forward to seeing your finished stock. I will keep Claude bookmarked and as soon as I get the rifle, I'll start working to get the new stock.

many many thanks
iwc3

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm afraid I can't help you much with the stock question, but I'd just like to say I think it's awesome that you are jumping in and doing some shooting with your sons ! Nothing like good quality time together ! I just bought a 452 Scout for my youngest son, and looking for another CZ plinker for me for the same reasons. Good luck with your stocks....I'd love to see it when you get done....and have fun with your boys ! :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Claude got back with me... gave me some nice options

Mr. Gatewood was very courteous with his reponses, and it looks like I will settle on a nice walnut stock from him. Thanks very much your help!

iwc3

·
Premium Member
9,206 Posts
tylden said:
I'm afraid I can't help you much with the stock question, but I'd just like to say I think it's awesome that you are jumping in and doing some shooting with your sons ! Nothing like good quality time together ! I just bought a 452 Scout for my youngest son, and looking for another CZ plinker for me for the same reasons. Good luck with your stocks....I'd love to see it when you get done....and have fun with your boys ! :D
:yeahthat:

·
Registered
10,623 Posts
What delivery did they quote you?
When I ordered one they said 8-12 weeks called last week and they said it was going to the sanding dept and should ship in 2 weeks. If it does that would put it at 8 weeks lead time.

Dave's Ultra said:
I just ordered a stock from Boyds last week. I think it was around 68.00 Hope this helps.

·
Registered
10,623 Posts
That means mine should have shipped to . I also ordered nutmeg.

Dave's Ultra said:
Just called Boyds, it's been shipped should get it on Monday. It's nutmeg, not walnut. Kinda with I'd ordered walnut.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.