Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 452 American in .22lr and love it. A beautiful rifle at an exceptional price. My only question regards the addition of a butt pad that would add 1-1.25” to the length of pull. I’d like to keep the rifle looking as similar to the original so something all-black, simple, etc. would be desirable. Any recommendations about brand/model/size would be welcome. Many thanks.

· Registered
8,275 Posts
I need to do the same thing to my American in .17 M2, I am 6'3'' which makes the short length of pull very uncomfortable. About the only thing I know of to get that kind of length would be a 1'' to 1-1/4'' recoil pad, such as a Pachmayr that Midway USA or Brownells sells. If you're really good grinding recoil pads with a belt sander, you can fit one off of the rifle, and then just screw it on without damaging the factory finish. Unfortunately, I've never been that good, and I will most likely wind up fastening it on the rifle, and then grinding to a perfect fit, making a stock refinish mandatory. I have been wanting to reflute the comb nose and install a metal grip cap anyways, so I may do this eventually. Having to mount the scope so far forward and having the trigger feel like it's in your chest is no fun! I needed 14-1/4'' LOP, not 13-1/8'', like a little kid! Them Europeans must be smaller folks or something?? :eek:

· Banned
966 Posts
Gents,

The CZ rimfire stocks I have worked with have a cross section at the butt that matches the Pachmayr "small"sized butt pads just about perfect.The Pachmayr padd is just a bit oversized all the way around..

As to the width of the pad,anything over 1" starts to look weird(especially on a rimfire) and also has a bit to much "give"or "bounce" for benchwork.The British use 1/4" black spacers to their pads to add length and they seem to work out well.

A 1" Pachmayr "Old English" all black pad with another 1/4" black spacer should do the trick.

As a standard pull length alteration to Cz Americans,I like to simply add a Pachmayer 500BAll black basketweave 1/2 pad (size small) to the butt of the CZ American's which is pretty much what CZ does to the Varmint models.It brings the LOP up to just over 13.5" which is a good all around length(hunting and target) for me (I am "Joe Average"-about 5-10")..

· Premium Member
8,406 Posts
For Phil in Alabama: As a former lady friend lamented, "all men are NOT created equal". :p . We are not all built the same and the gun manufacturers have to split the difference and build a rifle for the "average Joe". I myself am 5'10'' and and have been removing 1/4' to 1/2" from the stock of almost every gun I have bought in the last 50 years or , they are all too long for my short arms. (No, that has nothing to do with a "shortarm inspection" :p , guess I should have phrased that some other way). The CZ American stock fits me perfectly without being shortened. Best Regards.

· Registered
1,378 Posts
I put a Pachmayr Decel pad on a shotgun and I didn't use power tools. It was a good project for most of an NFL doubleheader - sand some, watch some, have a beer.

A layer of masking tape protects the stock. I mounted the pad, scored around the overhang, unmounted the pad, sanded it down most of the way with 80-grit on a chunk of wood, remounted the pad and gently sanded until the sandpaper 'just' touched the masking tape. Then I gently finished it off with either 120 or 240 grit - it's been awhile.

The directions came with the pad.

Messy, but satisfying.

John

· Registered
9,655 Posts
:) Here's a thought if you want to keep the rifle original. When I need to add length for hunting or at the range I take the original butt plate off and slip on a Limb Saver slip-on pad. Does a great job when I need it and I take it off when I get home. I don't want to keep screwing the butt plate off and on, so I leave it off. It is setting on a pad in my gun cabinet so I'm not worried about knocking a chip out of it. I have one Limb Saver that does double duty between my Winchester 320 squirrel rifle and my 20-gauge o/u skeet gun. It does a good job of lengthening the stock on each of them.

· Registered
2,955 Posts
Just ask Fuzzy Limey what he added to his American, its adjustable, but looks nearly stock! I believe its available from Anschutz.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.