Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a adams & bennett barrel from midway. When I 1st got the barrel I was having extraction problems so I installed a vc extactor. I have 3 butler creek 25 rounders that worked fine with the stock barrel but won't feed at all with the new barrel. The BC mags seem to load the rounds at more of a incline than the factory mag that works fine. When the rounds bind up, if I pull back slightly on the bolt, the rear of the round will come up slightly then it will slide in if I push the bolt forward. I lightly ramped the barrel too but that still didn't help. The funny thing is have 2 eagle 10 rounders that work fine. Go figure. Anyway is there any hope for the BC mags? Mark

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
The vast majority of your aftermarket barrels have Bentz chambers. In case you're not familiar with that term it is a "tighter" chamber than the factory "sporter" chamber. This means several things:

1. Bentz chambered barrels are typically more accurate
2. They are more particular about the type of ammo you feed them.
3. Many people using a Bentz chambered barrel have difficulties when feeding from aftermarket magazines.

Statement #3 is not a "universal truth", but you hear many guys have the same complaint after installing their aftermarket barrel.

Side note: You will hear some people claim to have a "match" chamber on their 10/22. This is not true. "Match" chambers have even tighter tolerances than Bentz chambers. You will only see true "match" chambers on bolt rifles and single shots. The tightest chamber you will see in the auto-loader 10/22 world, is the Bentz chamber.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
i bought one of the 25rd mags from academy a few weeks ago. the first day i used it it wouldnt feed right. almost every round would hang up and i would have to push the bolt closed. i ejected one of the rounds after i pushed the bolt closed, the chamber mouth had shaved a chunk out of the side of the bullet. i guess that it was feeding it at a different angle then my chamber would accept.

i returned the mag a few days later.

which A&B barrel do you have? i have the 18" SS unfluted.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RX7-2nr, I have the blue 18" adams & bennett. I went and shot it again today with a stock mag and the rifle works perfectly with it so I'm going to just put the 25 rounders away. I also ordered a factory second hammer from VQ today because I was in such a good mood plus it is a great deal. Thanks to everybody with their help. Mark

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
Common Hi-cap problem

I've had different hi-cap load problems similar to those above. In every case the bottom of the bolt passes too high above the lips to feed a tight chamber correctly. The only 10/22s any of these have consistently worked correctly in were old, very used standard carbines, (2 out of 7 tried of various ages/use. One was a range rental gun). I theorize sloppy chamber clearances allowed these two rifles to function correctly. Neither were particularly accurate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.