Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A friend brought me this H&R 922 with a 6" barrel to see if it shoots as badly for me as it does for him and yes, it does. I shot a 5" group at 10 yards and the center of the group was 2-3 inches above my aim point.

The single-action trigger pull is over 6 pounds. That can be fixed but it looks like somebody tried to improve on the rear sight with a disc grinder.

Except for the scratches running off to the side a couple inches in front of the sight, it could be a really poor job of cutting the sight at the factory. It shoots pretty high. Perhaps what he has is the result of a crude attempt to lower the rear sight.

I can't find a good picture of an H&R 922 rear sight. Anybody got one? Not that it's going to change anything, but I'd like to see what it started with.

And does anybody know how to get the brass disc front sight out? A taller sight would take care of shooting too high and make the rear sight tolerable.

My advice was to sell it. What's it worth? Except for the sight it looks pretty good - better than the pictures - and has a very authentic-looking but well-worn leather holster. The serial number indicates it's from about 1930.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
A friend brought me this H&R 922 with a 6" barrel to see if it shoots as badly for me as it does for him and yes, it does. I shot a 5" group at 10 yards and the center of the group was 2-3 inches above my aim point.

The single-action trigger pull is over 6 pounds. That can be fixed but it looks like somebody tried to improve on the rear sight with a disc grinder.

Except for the scratches running off to the side a couple inches in front of the sight, it could be a really poor job of cutting the sight at the factory. It shoots pretty high. Perhaps what he has is the result of a crude attempt to lower the rear sight.

I can't find a good picture of an H&R 922 rear sight. Anybody got one? Not that it's going to change anything, but I'd like to see what it started with.

And does anybody know how to get the brass disc front sight out? A taller sight would take care of shooting too high and make the rear sight tolerable.

My advice was to sell it. What's it worth? Except for the sight it looks pretty good - better than the pictures - and has a very authentic-looking but well-worn leather holster. The serial number indicates it's from about 1930.

The Standard Model Didn't Have A rear sight,...just A Sight Channel! [Both 'Early + Later' Models] Here's a picture of the Standard [schematic] Model W/#13 part Being the Front sight!!:t

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/hr/revolvers-hr/922

And Here's A Picture of The 'Early' Style Front Sight! It looks like Someone Tried to pull the Front Sight Out already?--Looks like Plier teeth marks on it And I would almost beleive the previous owner Tried Filing therear channel deeper so they Could get a LOWER Target Hit!!
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/683380

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
....... It looks like Someone Tried to pull the Front Sight Out already?--Looks like Plier teeth marks on it And I would almost beleive the previous owner Tried Filing the rear channel deeper so they Could get a LOWER Target Hit!!
That's what I think. Of course filing the rear sight channel doesn't help, you'd need to lower the TOP of the sight. Or make the front sight taller. But, whoever it was, he was no gunsmith. Didn't know how to work on guns and didn't know how to shoot them either, IMHO.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
An Idea?!

FWIW- Maybe U Could Try Filling in that rear channel W/'JB Weld' + Grooming it Down To Hide The 'Bubba' Job?!:t

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'd seek out a metalsmith artisan or a similar talented individual to do the repair. Gunsmiths put parts and pieces together and are not necessarily talented with metalworking skills. This scenario is a further adaptation of the phrase "Don't drink & drive"..."Don't drink and work on firearms"!
My 922 is a joy to shoot! It fits great in my hand and the weight balance is just right.

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd seek out a metalsmith artisan or a similar talented individual to do the repair. Gunsmiths put parts and pieces together and are not necessarily talented with metalworking skills. This scenario is a further adaptation of the phrase "Don't drink & drive"..."Don't drink and work on firearms"!
My 922 is a joy to shoot! It fits great in my hand and the weight balance is just right.
If it were my pistol I'd probably try to lift the front sight up a bit and narrow the gap in the rear sight with JB Weld but it's not mine. It's also at best probably a $200 gun. There are better places to spend the money it would take to do it right. The owner has decided to live with it like it is and see if he can get used to it. If he can't - there's something I really like about that old thing.

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
I sure wouldnt be paying somebody to work on that revolver, it aint worth it.
As to no group, it might just be horribly leaded up, do a barrel scrub.
Fwiw, Ive had a couple of factory fixed sight guns that were high by about that, call em 'can-shooter' cause pop can accurate was all they'd ever be.
If you can get it to group, just be high, for grins you might find out how far out that pop can has to be to be the point of aim.
And to pry that front blade out....not that Im recommending this, its kind of hack work, but.....
Measure the current blade height for future reference.
Tape up the top of the barrel (why make it worse than it is)
A 'side-cutter' biting the blade right at the barrel and the back end, clamped firmly, and leverage the handles down may lift it out. It wont do that blade any good.
Id make a new, extra taller blade and LocTite it in, and file to be -0-d where you want (Id go 16' poa/poi right at the tip of the blade).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts