Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Bushnell Trophy

560 7
I bought a new scope today. When I was at the store, I made sure to ask the guy which scopes had AO, and which did not. I ended up buying a Bushnell Trophy 3-9X40, that the salesperson told me had an AO. It does have what is called a "fast-focus eyepiece". My question to you people is this. Should I go back and have them put on a Banner 4-12X40AO or should I stick with this scope. They are both approximately the same price. With the Trophy, I think I am getting a better scope, but I don't think I have AO(do I? Is it just a different name?). I am mostly going to be using this scope for hunting, plinking, and very casual target shooting.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
Matt
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
A "fast focus eyepiece" is not the same as an AO. AO stands for "adjustable objective". The objective is on the front of the scope. The eypiece is used to focus the crosshairs, the AO is for the target.

For rimfire distances you will notice the shortcomings of a 3-9 with fixed, 100 yard focus. Shooting at short ranges will cause eyestrain and most likely inspire you to turn the scope down to 3x to make the focus less critical. At 50 yards the problem might not be horrible but at 25 yards you will notice problems keeping both the crosshairs and target in focus and will also be subject to parallax errors where the crosshairs are on target when the barrel is pointing somewhere else.

My advice would be to take it back and get a refund. Take the refund and get a decent quality AO scope from a reputable source. No point in supporting a business that is at best clueless about the merchandise or worse deliberately misleading you about the scope.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If it is the same Trophy that I have on my mini, it does not have an AO. It is your call on returning it, I can's say that the Trophy is the best scope that I have, but it is very durable. Like I said, I have it on a mini-30 that gets beat around all the time and it keeps it zero (or as best as I can tell with that gun). Depending on what you are going to be doing with your 10/22 you may look into returing that scope and ordering something online. Try www.midwayusa.com they generally run fairly good specials on their optics. And my final piece of advice...always buy the best that you can afford.

pip

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First of all, thank you for all of your help. I had known from this forum before I went to the store originally that I wanted an AO. Unfortunately, I didn't know what it looked like.
I'm still not sure whether the guy that I dealt with at the store didn't know what the AO looked like, or was just trying to dump a big bore scope on me. Either way, I went back today, and talked with somebody higher up in the store, and they fixed everything for me. They weren't happy that one of there employees made such a stupid mistake, but they did end up taking it back, and putting the Banner 4-12X40AO on my gun. The guy that I dealt with today thought that putting a 4-12X40 on my "older" .22 was a bit of overkill, but I knew what I wanted.
Just for other people putting a Bushnell on there gun. I know that a lot of people on this site sometimes stay away from Bushnells, but from what I have seen so far through my new scope, it looks pretty good. I do notice a difference in clarity from the Trophy to the Banner, but the Trophy with AO was also more than $120 more than the Banner with AO.
Once again, thank you all for your help, and I will keep you posted when I get out shooting to let you know how my Banner is in the field.
Matt

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know what I should do. I should save up, a save up, and upgrade and upgrade. I know that the Trophy 4-12X40AO must be a pretty amazing scope, but here in Canada, my scope was $155, and the Trophy was $275. They way that I see it, is that I am already upgrading huge by going from my old Sears Robbuck 4X up to my Banner. Thanks for your help, but I simply can't afford to upgrade any further. Maybe in the future, when I actually have a better .22.
Matt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.