Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
X-Mod
19,547 Posts
I have not seen one yet.

They look just like their old Compact & Short Mag series scopes, just made elsewhere. I would hope that they are made to the same specs. of the older series. It will be interesting to see how they stack-up once someone actually gets their hands on one. :)

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Their being made in the same place as the Fullfield II. I got a response from an email to them, they said their factory was just to small to keep up with production and it was more cost effective to have the less expensive lines assembled overseas. The scopes are all inspected and backed by Burris just like their more expensive scopes.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
There is some indication that the Philippines factory that makes Burris scopes is not owned by Burris, and makes scopes for other vendors besides Burris. It is known that most Nikons and some Bushnell (the well regarded Legends for example) are made in the Philippines. There is no doubt that the Fullfield and Timberline are built to Burris spec. Burris seems rather secretive about the plant, and still has not sent me an email giving name, location, and point of contact at Philippines factory. One source has told me the the plants name is PHILIPPINE KENCO and it is located in the MACTAN EXPORT PROCESSING ZONE. I have never really found anything out about Kenco, however there is a Philippines Kenko, but I am told that Kenco is the correct spelling by source. I think the Philippines Kenko (not Kenco), is owned by the big Kenko/Tokina Japan (owners of Sightron of all people). The Sightron folks tell me that their scopes are made by Asia Optical, Japan. The Sightron folks told me that they are owned by Kenko/Tokina, and that Kenko owns Asia Optical, Japan. I have looked, but can not see an ownership connection between Kenko and Asia Optical, however it is clear that there is a business relationship between the two. Link below talks about Philippines Kenko. I had thought the Kenko via Hoya buyout of Pentax had stalled.... apparently not.

http://digitalphotographer.com.ph/forum/showthread.php?t=12391&page=2

FunShot, from the Philippines, had got his hands/eyes temporarily on what was likely a preproduction 4.5-14x Timberline. His comments are in this link.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226190&highlight=philippines

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ordered it thru my uncle's gun shop. I think the place that he uses is called Jerry's but I'm not for sure on that. They didn't have them today but they expect them on Monday so middle of next week I hope.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
4.5-14x 32mm AO is on the way should be here on Friday. When I get it I will post with my first impression and we will go from there.:bthumb:
The latest Burris catalog I have says closest focus for Timberline 4.5-14x is 7 feet. YES 7 feet, not 7 yards! I find that hard to believe, and you will be the first who can confirm or deny. I assume you got the standard plex reticle?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My scope and rings are in and I will be picking them up tomorrow if I can get off work in time. I won't be able to shoot my gun with it on until I get my bolt back from Randy. I will let you know how it looks and clarity when I get it home.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
Can Leupold be far behind?

Regards,
Jefferito
Leupold is already there. They have been using Asian glass in all their scopes for years. All their rangerfinders and almost all their binoculars are Asian made. I have been told by a Leupold tech, that they have been using Asian glass since the 1970s. It is only recent new rules by FTC that Leupold has removed the "Made in USA" from their riflescopes. They would now have to label products "Assembled in USA". It would not surprise me if Leupold does not lobby to have the FTC rules changed in their favor. Apparently they do not have to put any markings since it is assembled in USA, and they have elected to do that, rather than destroy their carefully crafted image.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
is that the Burris scopes being made over in the Phillipines are much lighter than the ones Burris makes themselves. Every Burris made scope I have ever owned (and that is quite a few) has been noticeably heavier than similar scopes by other makers. What does this mean? Search me, but they used to be pretty tough scopes...... Now, I'm wondering about the Burris imports.
The spec are nearly identical. Weight of Burris ShortMag 4.5-14X is 15 oz, same as published Timberline weight. Following is a Burris email, the highlight is "optically improved, has improved lens coatings and a few cosmetic improvements"

=================================
Please send me your mailing address and I will send a 2008 catalog. Our website will also be updated in the next 7 to 10 days. http://www.burrisoptics.com/ You are very observant ... the Short Mag and the Timberline are similar. The Short Mag is being discontinued. The Timberline is the replacement scope that has been optically improved, has improved lens coatings and a few cosmetic improvements. The specifications are the same as the Short Mag scopes with the exception of the improvements I have listed.

Thank you,
Burris Company
=================================

·
X-Mod
19,547 Posts
Leupold is already there. They have been using Asian glass in all their scopes for years. All their rangerfinders and almost all their binoculars are Asian made. I have been told by a Leupold tech, that they have been using Asian glass since the 1970s. It is only recent new rules by FTC that Leupold has removed the "Made in USA" from their riflescopes. They would now have to label products "Assembled in USA". It would not surprise me if Leupold does not lobby to have the FTC rules changed in their favor. Apparently they do not have to put any markings since it is assembled in USA, and they have elected to do that, rather than destroy their carefully crafted image.
I've heard that before about Leupold glass and that it was made in Japan, but some of the their lower lines of spotting scopes are made in China as I'm sure you already know and that probably holds true for some of their binoculars and range finders as well. I wonder if any of their rifle scope lines, mainly referring to the Rifleman series, have Chinese glass?

It's interesting that they purchased Redfield and it's rumored that they will break into the less expensive market with that company. It also makes me wonder if they will scrap series like the Rifleman and Sequoia and let the lesser lines of scopes, etc. carry the Redfield name, so of course they won't have to tarnish the Leupold name. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.