Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a CZ 452 American in 17 HMR that I planned on using Burris deluxe medium height rings on. I have read some posts that there have been problems with Burris rings even though the CZ has a 3/8ths dovetail. Could someone please tell me what the problems are as I don't want to screw up my rifle! THANKS:confused:

·
Registered
793 Posts
make sure your 452 american has 3/8ths dovetail. mine is marked "CZ 452-2E AMERICAN" on the side of the receiver. it has the 11mm dovetail.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Has anyone used the Burris Signature rings one the CZ American 3/8" dovetail? I'd like to use them to mount a Weaver Grand Slam scope with the 40mm objective. I wonder, will the Signature high rings be tall enough?

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Without going to see-through rings the Signature 22 rings are about the tallest rings out there at 0.793" above the top of the receiver.

I cannot answer you from personal experience about the Signature 22 rings on a CZ American with the 3/8" dovetail (some early models came wil 11mm dovetails). I know Old Corps Joe tried them and switched as have a few other folks. My guess is that the claws are designed to hit the bottom of the dovetail groove to be solid and are not able to do that on the CZ's (extra large and deep dovetail).

I am currently using an adapter of my own design to convert the 11mm and 3/8" dovetail to accept Weaver-style rings. The Burris Signature Zee rings work great on this setup.

·
Registered
618 Posts
As Brookie stated, .......

I originally tried the Burris Signature 22/Airgun rings on the 11mm dovetail of my 22 LR CZ 452 Varmint, but they did not fit properly. Then I tried a set of BKL 257s which worked OK, but still did not give me the adjustment flexibility that I could get with a set of Burris Signatures Zee Rings (Weaver-style mount).

Meanwhile, Brookie was feverishly working on an non-gunsmithing type way to mount Weaver-style rings on the 11mm dovetail (FYI, Tasco's 22 dovetail-to-Weaver adapters were off-spec [oversize], so the Burris rings wouldn't quite fit). As soon as his adapters were available, I pulled off my BKLs and attached his adapters along with a pair of Burris Signature Zee Rings on my CZ Varmint. :D

Not one to be content with initial success, Brookie continued to modify and improve the adapter and now has his redisigned 2nd generation, lower-profile 11mm adapter and has also added an adapter for the CZ American 3/8 dovetail. (BTW, the current batch of 17HMR CZ Varmint models are really CZ American 22Mag actions with 17 HMR Varmint barrels and Varmint stocks. Consequently, they have a 3/8" dovetail).

Needless to say, I am anxiously awaiting one of each when they become available for shipping.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I tried a set of Burris .22 Signature rings on my American. They would only grip on the top (widest) edge of the dovetail, not on the bottom (narrowest) edge as they are supposed to. Consequently, the scope was cocked to one side, not over the receiver. I sent them back. Am also awaiting a set of Brookies 3/8" to Weaver adapters.

Mike

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks a bunch guys! That's the kind of information that I was looking for.

I just got a set of BKL 257 in today from Sinclair. For $18 they look OK although I can see that the finish from their cut-off saw is kind of rough. I need to scope two more 452 Americans; I think I'll try Brookies new 3/8 adaptors and the Burris rings.

·
Registered
618 Posts
If you have other .22s with the standard

USA 3/8" dovetail, I'd keep them. Otherwise, yes, it looks like you'll be returning them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.