Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd share. After several weeks of being on backorder I finally got my Burris Fastfire red dot in the mail today and mounted it on my smith & wesson 41. The 41 has a aftermarket Clark barrel on it and I like how it looks and how light it is compared to the smith 5" barrel.

I'll have to take it to the range wednesday and give it a try.

I was originally thinking of mounting this on my 5" barrel in the rear sight dovetail, but Burris doen't sell one. I've heard that Doctor mounts will work for the fastfire and they make one for the 41, but it says only for the new barrels. Anyone had expereince with this? I was hoping I could find a way for it to work without one of those silly weaver mounts on the original barrel, it is drilled and tapped.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Looks great... I just commented on my other thread how much I like my new Fastfire. I hope that you are as pleased as I am.

I did find it a little tedious to sight in at first... I ended up not messing with the wheel but eyeballing it... Overall it took about 20-30 minutes to get it where I wanted it. I found that a low light area in the indoor range gave a smaller dot for the precision tuning.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Really nice 41. I am interested in learning more about the Fastfire. I am thinking about mounting one on my grandson's Mossberg 20 ga. for turkey hunting. What is your opinion on shotgun mounting?

Autorim

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, I'm hoping to get it to the range tomorrow and have some fun with it.

Really nice 41. I am interested in learning more about the Fastfire. I am thinking about mounting one on my grandson's Mossberg 20 ga. for turkey hunting. What is your opinion on shotgun mounting?

Autorim

Before I mounted this on my 41, I put it on a 10/22 I have and I've got to say that being sooo small it looked kinda funny. I'm sure it would work fine, but personally I think the tube style red dots look better on rifles. Another point to consider is that the fastfire has a simple solid dot as a aiming point, for turkeys some kind of circle with dot in the middle or projected crosshair/dot might work better. I'm not a turkey hunter so I don't know which would be better. Although if weight was your main issue, then this might be for you, this thing sure is small. :D

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just got back from the range and boy is this thing sweet. I put on my target grips and I think it looks even better. The larget flat bottom made it easier to shoot off the bench.

This is a pic of sighting in from the bench, there's two shots that went low, then another in the 9 ring, and finally 5 in the 10 ring

Here are some targets I shot offhand. Still need some work there. Also the dot was quite bright at the outdoor range and didn't shine very well against the white targets. I think maybe making the 8 and/or 7 ring black would help keep me on target better.

And another offhand. only the top and left 3 targets were with the 41

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nice setup! I'm patiently waiting for Clark to have some more of their railed barrels. I called today and they said they should have more in about a month. Was there any fitting required on yours? I have a spare Aimpoint lying around, so I'm planning to put that on my 41 when I can get the new barrel. The Burris site looks very nice (and light) on your pistol.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea, I need to try it offhand more. It is very light, especially compared to the 2x scope I had on it before.

I bought the pistol like this so I can't tell you anything about fit. I just looked at their site, I thought that you could send them your pistol and have it fit and function tested, but I could be wrong. Mine swaps out with the factory barrel with ease. Sometimes I get one or two FTE after installing the barrel and it takes a couple of shots to settle back in, but I think thats normal.

It looks like they're now offering a 6.5" barrel as well. I wonder how that'd look. I really like the look and feel of the factory 7", the only barrel I don't have. I wonder how they would all compare...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.