Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
I have one mounted on my CZ 452 American in .17M2. I was wanting a scope that was compact enough to look good on a small rimfire rifle, but with enough magnification range to easily hit small targets at fairly long ranges. The Burris is the only compact 4-12x on the market that I know of. It's a good scope, but beware of the limitations of cramming that much optics into so small a tube. My 4-12x, is bright and clear, and mechanically excellent. It tracks adjustments perfectly, holds zero perfectly, and the AO works fine. It does display barrel distortion optically at low magnifications, say 4-5X, by that I mean the image seems to bow towards you and outward, making things look like a "barrel", or more correctly a keg, bowed outward in the center. This disappears at higher magnifications. At 11-12X, the eye relief gets critical, you have to keep your eye in fine alignment with the exit pupil or the image will disappear. The exit pupil is small at 12X, 2.7mm, so it isn't really bright at near darkness conditions. I would say it is a specialty scope for those wanting a compact package but enough magnification to shoot targets and varmints at long range. They look great in proportions on smaller rimfire firearms. The magnification range is very good, giving you everything from four power for woods hunting up to twelve power for 100 yards and further target and varmint shooting. The next alternative up is the Leupold VXII 4-12X 40mmAO, which is quite a bit bigger and a lot more expensive. The Leupold however is MUCH smaller than Nikon, Simmons, Bushnell, Tasco, Weaver, Sightron etc, in any similiar magnification range, with most of them being well over 13'' long and objective lenses over 40mm. The Burris is priced about $300.00. The Leupold is close to $400. Good scopes for multipurpose hunting/varmint/target rimfire rifles.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was looking at the different variations on this scope and one of them said that it had hunter knobs. Does that mean that you have to put a coin in the slot to make your adjustments or can you turn it by hand-it's just low profile.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I have one on my Ultra Light Arms Model 20. I would not get another. Eye relief is critical and the scope feels "fussy" to use, for lack of a better description. It tries to do too much in too small a package and comes up master of nothing except being small.

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
Burris's "Hunter" knobs are finger adjustable. They have a slight cylindrical projecting drum beneath the caps that is knurled on the edges to enable finger grip. The top of the low drum is still coin slotted though. These scopes are available with big target knobs. Both styles, low and target knob, are 1/8'' clicks at 100 yards, which means 16 clicks for 1'' at 50 yards. Since I am just about totally deaf in my left ear and somewhat damaged in the right, I have a lot of difficulty "hearing" the clicks, I have to go by feel, and 1/8'' clicks have very little click feel they are so finely machined. I think I'd actually have preferred 1/4'' clicks.

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
Bushnell was making a fixed 10X in the 3200 series scopes, complete with target knobs. I don't know if it's still available. Otherwise, about all you'll find are fixed 6 power scopes. Burris makes a fixed 6x32mmAO, Sightron makes a 6x42mm with target knobs, and Leupold was making one if they have it in the line, although it was pretty pricey. Leupold discontinued the 3.5-10x40mm AO. They also made the 4.5-14X VXIII a non AO type scope. The Weaver V-16 is a nice scope, but very large. There are several 3-9x 32 to 33mm AO scopes available, from Burris, Leupold, Simmons, and Weaver, maybe others also. The ONLY compact 4-12x that I know of currently being made is the Burris. Redfield made one years ago when they were in their original USA made pre bankruptcy form. Never actually seen one, only in the catalogs. Leupold makes a 12x 40mm AO fixed scope, but it's big and pricey also. Look at www.riflescopes.com and www.theopticzone.com and www.bearbasin.com, they have just about everything that's available. One more place, www.midwayusa.com, forgot them for a moment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.