Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10/22 stainless barrel with a slight bulge right behind the barrel band about 1MM high and 1-2 CM long. The inside of the barrel looks fine, and it's shooting Colibris and CB's fine. The prospect of giving 80 dollars to Ruger isn't high on my list and I don't want a new bull barrel or anything like that. I'm wonder if everyone thinks it would hold up to firing regular ammo still? I didn't know I even had it until I got home, so nto sure how many rounds went through it after it happened, but it kept on ticking. No noticeable lack in accurate or lead buildup occured/is occuring with the soft lead bullets, so can I still shoot this thing?

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
That I can't help you with. I am not an expert in any way when it comes to firearms. I just love to tinker with and hopefully improve them in some small way while they are mine. Hopefully someone with a little expertise will be by shortly and give you a knowledgable answer.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Bulged Barrel.....? ?

Glock,

It is probably safe to shoot. Will it shoot accurately is another question.....? ?

Most "bulges" of barrels are caused by firing a round while the barrel is obstructed by a previously fired bullet that did not exit the bore.....! ! :(

You have mentioned "Colibris" [primer only/no powder]; these rounds have been know to lodge in barrels, and if unknowingly, the user fires another round, the barrel is bulged.....! ! :(

Usually, this type of bulge may also be seen as a dark 'ring' inside the bore, and maybe 'felt' by running a tight patch through the bore; there will be a 'spot' where the patch moves freely....! ! ;)

Also, the 'bulge' maybe 'felt' externally by running your fingers on either side, up and down the barrel; even very slight irregularities maybe felt.

There are usually 'take-off' 10/22 barrels available for sale in the Forums below.....! ! :)

Good Luck....! ! :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It seems to shoot accurately with the low powered ammo, i don't really care much about accuracy as long as it hits cans, since it's just a fun gun to shoot. The bulge was produced due to a squib by Federal Classic. They sent me a check and I own another of the same gun now, but I tricked that one out and would like to shoot an originally occasionally. The inside of the barrel is looking mirror finished. I can feel the bulge right behind the barrel band if you feel carefully.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Glock:

I wouldn't hazard a guess about the barrel you mention with the bulge without seeing it. However, if you don't want to sink more money in it, I have two blue standard barrels taken from guns I customized. Say the word and I 'll send you one. Just PM me with your address and it's yours. As I say, the only drawback is they are blue, and you said yours is stainless.

Dan

·
Registered
416 Posts
In noticed one of these rings in my Rem 597 barrel not long after I got it. Don't know when it happened, but I've fired it several thousand rounds since then with no further damage, and, as far as I can tell, no real effect on accuracy. It doesn't collect fouling there or anything, so I don't worry about it anymore.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.