Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built this to shoot CCI CBs at, i'm sure it's over kill but that's a good thing. I put two rows of large logs down verticaly and filled in the cracks with dirt. Then i put 1-2ft of dirt in front of that and covered it with plastic to keep it from washing away. As you can see the target doesn't lay flat yet but i'm going to fix that tomorrow. What do you think? Any sugestions?

Here are a few pics nothing special.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
very nice, I'm thinking of building one this spring. I'm thinking I can use 1/8" steel to deflect the bullets down into the dirt. Kind of like one of the small .22 traps but build it bigger into our dirt hill.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I may build a steel trap as well when this one bites the dust. My whole point in building this one was to keep the noise at a minumum ( dirt=quiet ). Like i said i'm going to be shooting CB ammo at this trap i may even switch to Aguila Super Colibri for even less noise. I want to try a box before i buy a brick though.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I've got some work to do before I try it, I need to figure out if it will work, what angle and all of that. But I'm thinking I can make a nice sized one, I've got access to a bunch of 4'x8' sheets of steel that I can use, weld it up and drop it into place. This will make sure that nothing gets out where it can do any harm.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
3/8" steel? it would take a crane to put it in the yard :D

I'm going to use this in addition to the dirt hill that we shoot into, so even if it does get through the steel, it will have the dirt to make it through.

·
Registered
162 Posts
last year i tried these

Aguila Super Colibri and i thought that they would be fun but i went to my uncles where i have a lil range set up fired one didn't hit the target at 25 yrds did not have any thing to check the barrel so i had to come home made sure the barrel was clear i did not have any idea that they were so weak i went out side shot one in to a 1/2" sheet of ply wood and it barely stuck in it so i got rid of them
for the record my back stop is the bottom of a mountain and in to the woods but i'v got my self hunting and before i shoot i think of what might happen if i miss were is the bullet going to go i guess i'm gettin smart i doubt it but maybe

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The wood on the top is only there to help keep the plastic from blowing away. If I shoot that high something is wrong and i would stop shooting. Where i have it now i can only shoot at 25 yards.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: last year i tried these

whiteboy72 said:
Aguila Super Colibri and i thought that they would be fun but i went to my uncles where i have a lil range set up fired one didn't hit the target at 25 yrds did not have any thing to check the barrel so i had to come home made sure the barrel was clear i did not have any idea that they were so weak i went out side shot one in to a 1/2" sheet of ply wood and it barely stuck in it so i got rid of them
for the record my back stop is the bottom of a mountain and in to the woods but i'v got my self hunting and before i shoot i think of what might happen if i miss were is the bullet going to go i guess i'm gettin smart i doubt it but maybe
Thanks for the info. I think i'll stick with the CCI CBs.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
OnTarget said:
The wood on the top is only there to help keep the plastic from blowing away. If I shoot that high something is wrong and i would stop shooting. Where i have it now i can only shoot at 25 yards.
o.k just say, because I've got the hole in my hat to remind me about richochet and how close I was to getting it because of how easily low velocty rounds richocet. It's just the advice of expereince.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
AZZA said:

o.k just say, because I've got the hole in my hat to remind me about richochet and how close I was to getting it because of how easily low velocty rounds richocet. It's just the advice of expereince.
Yeah i understand and i thank you for posting it. I'm thinking of building it up another foot to be safe anyway that would make me a little more comfortable at shooting at it.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Many indoor ranges use

shredded rubber tires. If you could find a tire recycler, it may not be too expensive.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
OnTarget said:

Yeah i understand and i thank you for posting it. I'm thinking of building it up another foot to be safe anyway that would make me a little more comfortable at shooting at it.
Cool mate, a wise move. I've got steal bullet trap
that I got from a gunshop for a bargain, $50.
it richochets the bullet at an angle and then spins it in a pipe at the bottom and out comes shredded lead. As soon as I can borrow a digital camera, I'll, post a photo. I used to shoot into a clay bank when my family owned a fish farm. That bank could absorb 45-70 rounds and not have em exit. We recovered some of the rounds and had fun analiseing the mushrooms that had formed.
I tend to use old telephone books when I sight in my .22..

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
man, I'd really appreciate it if you posted pics.. thanks..

how do you farm fish? isn't it kind of hard to get them planted and to make them grow out of the dirt? :D

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
stratcat said:
how do you farm fish? isn't it kind of hard to get them planted and to make them grow out of the dirt? :D [/B]
You put trout into ponds, and have them oxegenated via continuous running water via pipes that pump water in. The water flows from one pond to the other via a race. You feed the trout up on fish pellets for two long years. They get fattened up and get big enougth for market. The fish farmers enemy's are fox's and the Cormorant who come over and steal your stock. The fox literally will fish the fish out of the race just like they do in river rapids. I shot my first fox on that same fish farm.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.