Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,

i thought id join you guys since im now building my first 10/22. somebody at ar15.com suggested i check this site out.
well, im going to get my first 10/22 this week at wally world, its on layaway. its the cheapo carbine but i already have a bunch of parts for it on the way here's what i got:

butler creek blue smooth .920 brl
walnut bull brl stock from sportsmansguide.com
bsa 4x32 scope
vq extractor
ranch products weaver base
bolt buffer
auto realese
trigger reduction kit
extended mag release

some of this stuff is obviously on the cheap side but i plan on upgrading themn as soon as the budget permits, especially the scope.
anybody know where i can get some good instructions on how to put this stuff in? im pretty sure i can just wing it since im no stranger to building guns, so far ive built an ar15 and im half way done building a fal. but id still like to have some reference material to use.
thanks in advance,
davidp14

·
Registered
271 Posts
what is your scope funds like? if you have about 90 bux get a bushnell banner 4-12X40...very good scope for the money...

as to putting the stuff in...i dont know that there are instructions...but there are a few blow up diagrams on this forum laying around that show how everythign goes together.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, i looked at some of the diagrams you mentioned. i think they will help. i was thinking i would like to spend less than 100 bucks on the scope, but i have to wait a while ive spent a lot of money on guns lately and the wife is getting a little pissed. (OK a lot)

·
Registered
271 Posts
the banner is 90 shipped (or it was for me) for the 4-12X the the 3-9 i think is high 70's...much better optics than my dads BSA and my bros Bushnell sportsman (of course now my dads buying a nikon or leupold varix3 so there goes my superiority)

there are a number of good scopes for relatively cheap, but the two popular brands are simmons and bushnell...look at what they have to offer and decide whats best for what you are gonna do.

·
Registered
787 Posts
davidp14 said:
hello all,

i thought id join you guys since im now building my first 10/22. somebody at ar15.com suggested i check this site out.
well, im going to get my first 10/22 this week at wally world, its on layaway. its the cheapo carbine but i already have a bunch of parts for it on the way here's what i got:

butler creek blue smooth .920 brl
walnut bull brl stock from sportsmansguide.com
bsa 4x32 scope
vq extractor
ranch products weaver base
bolt buffer
auto realese
trigger reduction kit
extended mag release

some of this stuff is obviously on the cheap side but i plan on upgrading themn as soon as the budget permits, especially the scope.
anybody know where i can get some good instructions on how to put this stuff in? im pretty sure i can just wing it since im no stranger to building guns, so far ive built an ar15 and im half way done building a fal. but id still like to have some reference material to use.
thanks in advance,
davidp14
Welcome to RFC, this is the best place to learn about what to do and how to do it, not to mention where to get it. There are stickies under the action forum that will help, as well as theTips and Tricks forum.
Some suggestions, start with the Volquartsen hammer, and Mag. release. You can find very good directions on how to do your own bolt release, it is very simple. Look at Hawktech, and Rimfiresports and custom for your action parts, both are sponsers here, and each is good to deal with, plus free shipping.
Most people here will tell you to check out Whiteface Mountain Barrel Supply for a Green Mountain barrel.
The 20" .920, blue is $79.95, as is the 18", the SS .920 barrel is $89.95. These prices include shipping. Ken, XF2, is the owner, he is a member and sponser of Rimfirecentral.com, not to mention a great guy to deal with.
Look at WeaponKraft for there bolt buffer, it will last and last, and is the best buy for the money.
That is a nice looking stock for the money at Sportsmans Guide, and would look good with the blue barrel and receiver, or a SS barrel even.
One last comment, if you can swing it, go for a Bushnell Scopechief 4-14x50 from natchezss.com, at $119.99, it is one of the best bang for the bucks in optics right now. You will not regret spending the extra dollars for it.
Now that I have told you my ideas, sit in front of the monitor awhile, and read the forums here on RFC, and make your own decisions. You will find a lot of information here and a lot of helpful and knowledgeable people to go with it. And then you will probably realize that ya can't build just one.
Andy :t

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well all of my parts except the extractor came in the mail yesterday and i put in the mag release, auto bolt release bolt buffer, and lighter trigger springs. they didnt give me too much trouble going in but i couldnt get my stock barrel off for the life of me. i tried until i felt like i was going to strip the retainer screw, i can get one of them off but the other one is on there good. i guess ill take it to the gunsmith tommorrow. any suggestions?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i got my friendly gunsmith to help me with my barrel. he changed it out in about two minutes for free. (nice guy)
i took it to the range this afternoon and i got the scope sighted in in about 20 shots. i was real impressed with the accuracy and im pretty happy wiht it overall. i didnt get to shoot it as much as i wanted to because it started raining on me.
on the down side, i did have one stovepipe and one failure to fire out of about 60rnds and i really wish i could somehow rig it to hold open on the last shot. im not good at keeping track of my shots and the sound of dry fire makes me want to vomit.

despite that i am really happy with it!

ill post pictures in a day or two.

thanks for your help!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh i should say that i havent installed my VQ extractor yet so i hope that will stop the stovepipes. the trigger springs i put in was real nice . virtually no creep at all.

·
Registered
312 Posts
stovepipes plauged my 10/22 until I polished the inside of the receiver with 400 grit. The recoil spring guide rod needed polishing real bad as well, removed it, just tied the lever all the way back and polished by hand with the 400 grit in the dirction of travel. Most guys will tell you to shoot a couple of bricks of high velocity ammo through it to "smooth out the action" that didn't do it for my 10/22 but a piece of 400 grit and an hour of my time sure did. Don't forget the dry lube for the action when reassembling.

·
Registered
54 Posts
heres what i did

i took 400 for the rought spots and then changed to 600 just to smothin it out and took the bolt and grinded the burs off.( or the high spotts off the bolt) then sprayed some industeral grapite lude from the spray can and coated the complete inside of the recever (yes some will run down the out side just wipe off )and the whole bolt but not the side you see and the face (the side that touches the barrel)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for all of the tips guys,

i put in the extractor the other day. was easy enough to get the extactor in but putting the bolt back in was a bi*ch. i havent taken it out to test it yet but it hand cycles OK.

so does everybody polish the inside of their reciever? where do i get the spray can graphite?

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
I think, in fact that very few people polish the insides, as just shooting will normally do just as good without taking the chance of rounding off things in there that should not be rounded. No problem doing it if you are careful, I'd guess.

There have been reports of graphite causing problems. Most people here will advise you to use a dry silicone spray instead. Black and Decker also makes it if you can't find it elsewhere...

Whatever you use, use sparingly. lube is like a magnet in an automatic and will grab all the gunk that gets thrown out when the bolt is blow open from firing, and you'll end up with a filthy gun that won't cycle because of the garbage sticking to it inside.

Ron

·
Registered
57 Posts
Dry Lube

Check you local Napa dealer for graphite spray. Clean the inside of the receiver & spray a light coat. lt it dry and wipe off any overspray with an old rag. It'll wear off over time, but can be reapplied as needed. Learned that trick hunting doves in the desert. Sand won't stick to the dry surface. Good luck sounds like you're headed down the right road.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i just added a new stainless trigger ,a lightened hammer disconnecter and sear. the trigger weight has really lightened up i think this 10/22 is coming along nicely. oh i also got a rounded plunger ans spring, it does a good job of getting rid of the grit in the trigger. i got all of this stuff from a guy who has an ebay store his seller name is hornet224 if anybody is interested.

ive decided to get a new stock. i really want soemthing a little nicer. i was looking at the deluxe model from lam tech
here it is http://www.outdoorguides.com/outdoor/rug1022.htm#LamTech Stocks

what do you guys think? is this a good one??

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.