Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here it is guys- I am ready to begin my buildup of a sweet shooting superstock 10/22 (AKA Squirrelpocalypse). I just picked up a new plain jane carbine with birch stock and hideous barrel band. My first installment of upgrades will be a modest investment of say 130.00 or so. How will my dollar go furthest? Here are my requirements:

1. Wood stock gun, but would settle for the corelite mossy oak stock if it is a quality item that won't detract from accuracy, and would save money overall. BTW, my stock needs a fairly long length of pull, as I am a large fella.

2. I would really love a sporter contour barrel, but I will use a heavier barrel if I can keep weight reasonable. (I assume that limits me to a fluted variety) I want a blued barrel, regardless of weight. I like a 18-20 inch barrel merely for aesthetic reasons, as long as they don't hinder accuracy at all, or velocity by a large margin.

3. I love a great trigger- and I am picky. Not so much in regards to weight, but grittiness and slop are hard to overcome. I will invest in my trigger, though I cringe at the thought of dropping 200.00 or more for a complete aftermarket assembly. Other than that, I am open to suggestion.

4. Reliability- gotta have it. That is why I love the Kalashnikovs:) I want it to go bang every time. I love a match chamber as much as anyone else, but there is such a thing as too finicky. Hopefully I can find a medium.

5. Optics- I am going with a scope over open sights. I want an affordable variable power scope with a parallax setting that is correct for woods ranges, say 50 yards or less. The objective should be such that I can avoid the use of high rings. I really prefer my scope as close to the bore as possible.

Also, I may grab a 17hm2 kit for this at some point, if that affects anything.

I am hoping you guys can get me started with the best bang for 130.00 or so initial investment, but I am a sponge for your suggestions on the finished package, as I plan to sink some coin into it quickly over the next several months. (Maybe an additional 250.00 or so) Sorry to be so long winded, but if anyone can give me some direction it is you folks. Thank you much in advance for your input and patience, NRA

·
Registered
40 Posts
$100 bucks on a TTShooter Trigger job and $30 dollars on ammo or $80 dollars on TTShooter Trigger and $40 bucks on a Simmons or Trashco 3-9X40 scope. My trashco keeps zero well and the woodchucks don't know the difference between a $40.00 and a $400 dollar scope... IMO

·
Registered
97 Posts
The essence of a Super stock is a rifle that looks stock but shoots with the Ultimates.
My first move would be a scope. The Nikon Buckmaster 3-9X40 is going for $150 at Wal-Mart. It's a good quality scope. You might be able to find a decent used scope for peanuts at a gunshow or the used counter in a gunshop.
I would contact Randy at CPC and get the original barrel set back and rechambered, and the bolt work done. Unless I'm mistaken, that will be about $130. Then I would dig up a Wally World Special stock (about $30 on ebay) if you decide you don't like the carbine stock. You can do the trigger work yourself and get a pretty good trigger. If you are skiddish of that, a Volquartsen hammer will do the trick. Float the barrel, bed the action.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Xavier Breath said:
Then I would dig up a Wally World Special stock (about $30 on ebay) if you decide you don't like the carbine stock. QUOTE]
:rolleyes: Gonna be a bit more than that. They go for over $50 now. For about the same price as the DSP, go walnut!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So a walnut is easily found on Ebay? Also, no one mentioned building a trigger from PC or someone like that.(A hammer/sear/trigger combo) Is that a bad route to go? I have a really mechanical buddy that could help me if I had difficulty doing any of the work. Hopefully everyone chimes in, I value everyone's input alot.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
I would buy an unfinished Boyd's Dakota Will stock in Walnut for about $70 directly from Boyd's. I am not sure if you can get that stock with the factory barrel channel though. The PC hammer/sear set should give you a great trigger pull.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
CPC the barrel and action... That will take care of the trigger and give you a good chamber.

Semi stock ultimate would be a Green Mountain sporter barrel, you can get flute dor un fluted

I would use the factory stock untill you get the cash to get a good stock Gatewood (lust) Boyd's walnut like AK said would alo work good, for what the DSP or Walmart special stocks bring now, I would opt for a aftermarket stock, you can keep a pure aftermarket gun looking pretty stock with all the right stuff, you will also need a good scope and mounts, all of this is hard to do on a budget, but budgets are made to be broken

Clint

·
Registered
529 Posts
By the way, I really like the look of the stainless barrel with the original black receiver. I'm about to order the same GM barrel for my black receiver and didn't know exactly what it would look and if I should have gone ahead and stripped the receiver and polished it.

That black/stainless look is great and it's nice to see what mine's going to look like.

Mark

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.