Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Buckmark vs. SP22

772 10
I am trying to decide which one of these i want to purchase. I have heard nothing but good about each. I will be using this a plinker and might do a few "fun matches" at my local range but nothing major. I will most likely use this pistol as a suppressor host in the near future. This is one of the main things i see the SP22 having over the buckmark it can use the adapter that the P22 uses. This is much cheaper then having to buy a tactical solutions barrel or even have the factory one threaded. In terms of reliability i think they are about equal.

Does anyone have experience with both that they would like to share and point me in the right direction?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,507 Posts
I don't have any experience with the SP22 but if it has the reputation of the P22 the BuckMark will be a better option. The SP22 may be an excellent gun, but you are comparing machined alloy to polymer. The BuckMark with a threaded barrel is one of the best platforms for a suppressor. In its price category, I don't know of anything better than the BuckMark.
I modified an old Challenger for the use of a suppressor and I really like its quality.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Re: Buckmark

I had a Newer Buckmark Challenge with the checkered grips....and that gun was as accurate.... or more accurate...slighlty...than my Ruger Mkll KMK512 Stainless Steel Bull Brl. Accuracy for both were in the nickle to quarter size groups from benchrest bags @ 25yds. I liked the grip angle and feel....and I again have been sorry I sold it and the Ruger. Liked the 'adjustable sights' and reliability....never once had a glich shooting even Remington .22lr Thunderbolts. Accuracy is what really surprised me. Sorry no experience with the SP22. My 'vote' Buckmark'.....but nothing wrong with Walther quality.....sure you have looked at both....which do you tend to lean towards right now?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
See my problem right now is no one has these in stock so i am going to have to order them sight unseen so i want to make sure i make the right choice. I am leaning toward the buck mark because it has been around and i know of its reliability and accuracy. On the other hand i really like the design of the Walther and the ability to add a suppressor with a 30 dollar adapter over a 200 dollar barrel. All that i have read on the new SP22 makes it stand apart completely from the P22 and is far more reliable and accurate. The only bad thing that i have heard was that is has a stiff trigger. I am sure it cant be worse then my Phoenix arms HP22.

Adam :2ar15smil

·
Premium Member
30,507 Posts
See my problem right now is no one has these in stock so i am going to have to order them sight unseen so i want to make sure i make the right choice. I am leaning toward the buck mark because it has been around and i know of its reliability and accuracy. On the other hand i really like the design of the Walther and the ability to add a suppressor with a 30 dollar adapter over a 200 dollar barrel. All that i have read on the new SP22 makes it stand apart completely from the P22 and is far more reliable and accurate. The only bad thing that i have heard was that is has a stiff trigger. I am sure it cant be worse then my Phoenix arms HP22.

It appears that it has a polymer frame:mad: . If the trigger can't be adjusted or fixed then you have an expensive plinker, with not much chance of using it for some competition. The BuckMark is tried and true. I don't have one, but I have many Belgium Brownings and the BuckMark is a descendant of them. They have made the manufacturing process cheaper, but the basic design is similar and the guns are a good value for the money. Your question that you have to answer for yourself is "are you willing to take a chance on a gun you haven't tried".
The trigger issue you mentioned would keep me away until I learned more about them.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Re: Buckmark/Walther

Don't you have a place to look and handle these pistols? Because that's a lot of an investment not knowing what to really expect and be happy with what you get. Sounds like the surpressor is important to you. Sounds like you are pretty well leaning towards Walther....But consider the trigger like M2HB said. As far as a pistol goes trigger, reliability, accuracy and competition you would like to possibly do.... Buckmark. It's your choice. I don't think too many of us have had the opportunity or experience with the Walther. Just don't rush into it. What articles have you read on the Walther?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like you are pretty well leaning towards Walther....
To tell you the truth I prefer the buckmark and believe this is what i am going to purchase. I just was wondering really if anyone had experience with the SP22 because it could be a cheaper alternative for a suppressed .22(came across it when i was looking at the buckmarks). I don't know how the trigger is and just have read one review on AR15.com and was wondering if anyone else had one that could give me options. If i don't hear anything good about the Walther i am going to get the Stainless URX 5.5 buckmark (not the one picture). Use it until i have the money to get the Tac Solutions pac lite.

If you have any info on the Walther let me know

Adam

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
i don't own and haven't shot either, but I have handled both. I think the Walther is more comfortable in the hand than the Browning. The browning has longevity of design behind it, so i would lean that way. I haven't heard much (good or bad) about the new walther, but if money weren't an issue, i would get the walther first and if i didn't like it, buy the browning, that's just me though.

On a side note, the SP22 is a completely different beast than the P22 (which i have). I handled the shorted barreled one and was surprised by its heft. i was expecting something light like my P22.

DW

·
Registered
202 Posts
I handled the SP22 at an outdooor show a while back.

I have small, womanlike hands and I really disliked the grip. It seemed very large and fat, especially for a .22.

I didn't get to try one with the junior or match grip, though.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I now have a similar problem. The local gun shop has a Buckmark (used) and a new SP22 m1 at the store. I haven't made up my mind which to get yet. I guess I will just have to have my wife go down and see which one she thinks she would be able to shoot too. When in doubt have the wife check it out. If she really likes one of them then bringing it home gets much easier.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.