Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

buckmark or ruger mkII?

887 Views 8 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  OdT
What would you chose? Here is a link to my top 3 choices. Looking for more feedback. http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22271

What do you like about the buckmark over the MKII or vice versa?
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
514 Posts
I have a Ruger MkII Govt. model and a Buckmark Silhouette model.
The Ruger is OK but I love the Buckmark. I have to clean the Ruger a lot sooner than the Buckmark to keep it from malfunctioning. The Ruger has an exposed trigger linkage right under the edge of the chamber area and it seems to collect grit which affects the trigger rather quickly. I dont know if that is changed in the 22/45.

I found the Buckmark more comfortable to hold, and more accurate. Probably not a fair comparrison since the Buckmark has a 10 inch bull bbl and the Ruger only a 5 inch bull bbl. Both have had scopes at one time. I have been shooting the buckmark at bowling pin matches for the last couple of years, I shoot approx 35-40 rounds min, every week, 50 weeks a year, & I clean it religously every 4 to 6 weeks ::)(or it starts to act up.) I have four mags (they are expensive, $22-$27 each ) and they seem to be made very well and have Never given me any problems.
Of course I would like to get a 22/45 too. Cant have too many guns, especially .22s Theres no reason not to get both, since any gun is less expensive to feed than a teenager! (I got one of those too.)

*Other things I like about the buckmark series of pistols are the way it disassembles, Vastly less annoying than the ruger and the barrels can be changed without changing the slide/receiver, like you must do with the Ruger.
*The mag release position.
*The spring loaded magazine plunger in the bottom of the grip, when you hit the mag release that mag flies out! I hate having to "dig out" the mags from the butt of the Ruger!
*The screw on wood grips. You can get aftermarket grips for the Mark II but the ruger 22/45 has the ruger hard plastic grip. I don't care for the feel of that plastic and there aren't any aftermarket grips except the slip on peices of bycycle inner tube types.
*The sights. I just like the Browning pistol sights better than the Rugers.

· Registered
514 Posts
BTW. I have heard some bad things about the placement of the magazine release on the Colt. Don't know that to be true but if you go look at one, you might check that out.

IF I remember correctly the problem stemed from putting it up near the slide area and it being very easy to accidently activate when holstering or tucking it into your belt, causing the mag to drop loose. Been some time ago so they may have changed that. Just what I remember.

· Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all the info. I went to the gun store today and handled both the buckmark and the mkII. The overall feel of the buckmark was better then the mkII and i abosolutly hate the magazine release on the mkII. My local gun dealer only has one Buckmark and it's on display at full price. I went to another dealer and they didn't have any. I asked them to call and see if they can order one and apparently Browning isn't shipping any out right now.

Are there any online places with good prices? The shop was charging $269 + tax so it's around $300 total. The cheapest FFL dealer charges $15 for orders if i were to buy from someone else and have it shipped. I'm guessing it would be cheaper to just buy the display model here. Should i ask for a little discount ?

· Registered
913 Posts
OnTarget said:
What do you like about the buckmark over the MKII or vice versa?
They both have their pro's and con's:

Buck Mark's trigger is nicer than the Mk II.

Ruger mags are cheaper.

Some Buck Mark models have a scope rail built on, Ruger does not.

My Ruger seems to eat any ammo I feed it. The Buck Mark does well in this area, but it has refused to feed some ammo.

Just my $0.02 - steve:cool:

· Registered
435 Posts
I just copied this reply that I had given last time this question was asked- The context is a little off because the dicussion had gotten a little out of line, but they are still my opinions.

OdT

I've owned both in many different configurations over the past 14 years, and if it is up to me, I will always own at least one of each.

The Ruger is a tool, a tool that I have used to put many meals on my table. I've had the same MKII (KMK10) since 1989. It has had well over 28k rounds shot through it and I have carried it in the field more than any of my other firearms combined. I bought this pistol because it was the only make I could find in this configuration at the time, and I had planned to upgrade to a Browning whenever they were being manufactured again. But, after using and becoming familiar with the Ruger, I became attached to it and it soon became the most useful firearm I've ever owned. To date, it has had many modifications/improvements and has required a few parts replaced that I had worn out, so yes, it has had a few jams and misfires over the years. But it has yet to fail at the moment of truth, and I know I can count on it, without a doubt.

The Browning compared to the Ruger is a Cadillac to a Chevette. If properly tuned, they are a true pleasure to shoot. I've owned two 5.5 Target models, a Bullseye, a Varmint, two Silhouettes, an Unlimited Silhouette (currently out of production) and I even bought one of the new Buckmark Carbines (rifle) in the target version. The accuracy potential of these pistols is unbelievable. The triggers are much easier to tune and other than that, no further modifications are needed.

Reliability between the two is identical. If kept clean and in proper working order, you should have no problems except for with faulty ammo.

As far as comparing the design and manufacturing, I've come to the conclusion that there really is no point in it. The Ruger has heavier parts and is probably a bit over-built in some aspects. The Buckmark has some plastic parts that are hard to stomach, but seem to be quite reliable. Takedown has to be learned with both, but it does with all other firearms too…so what, after the initial cussing and a little practice, it becomes old hat and requires no thought.

So, when it's time to go grouse or rabbit hunting, I grab my Ruger from behind the seat, and PRESTO! I'm huntin'!

And when it's time to boost my ego with some precision paper punching, my Unlimited Silhouette, (with the trigger set at just over a pound and the electronic sight dialed in tightly), comes out of its' case and is ready to compete, even with the rifles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.