Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as the title reads, I'm having some issues with my buckmark. (standard urx two-tone black/grey) I purchased it yesterday, shot it, and stripped it down to clean.

I got the rear sight screw out, but couldn't get the barrel screw to budge. So I took out the other sight screw and just totally removed that. Then I removed a stopper (which then dissappeared) from the [rear of the] guide rod and and let the spring off and the slide followed. Then I proceeded to take the grips off and examine all that jazz.

Then I punched out the pin that holds the sear spring in. Me being stupid, didn't look which direction it was in there before removing it. Then I came here, looked for pictures and couldn't find any (clear enough) that showed which way to put the spring in. Anyways, cleaned it up, oiled her down, and put the spring back in. Put the slide on, and went outside to shoot it.

boomboomboom. ok good. It works. But as the day went on, I was getting double taps. And sometimes it would shoot, strip a round into the chamber, but the trigger [or firing pin?] hadn't reset so no boom, let alone click.

I'm stumped guys, here's some pictures of the pistol how it is set up now.

Any help much appreciated.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm not the expert around here, but it looks as though you've got the sear spring reversed--the rear leg is forward, and the front leg to the rear. This means there's no tension on the sear.

For instructions on this, look at the Buckmark Starter Thread that's stickied at the top of this forum. Under Modifications, follow the link under "What can I do to improve my trigger". There are plenty of illustrations there on installing the sear spring.

·
Registered
845 Posts
your sear spring is installed wrong...

according to the 2nd pic, the short leg of the sear spring is sticking up in the air. the short leg of the sear spring should sit at the back of the frame while the longer leg should provide forward pressure to the sear (by sitting in the V-groove on the sear itself).

without pressure on the sear, the sear and hammer cannot "engage" thus resulting in "slam fires".

read the buckmark starter thread and read the dissecting section (by chim) to get more details on how to install the sear spring correctly.

-rusty22

·
Registered
7,806 Posts
This thread points out the error of flipping the sear spring. Get it wrong and the gun might be UNSAFE.

You can flip the spring and test it for adequate sear spring tension but I think it better to just deform the spring to reduce its intial force on the sear but this also must be tested.

To test it you pull the slide and barrel off the gun. Cock the hammer with your thumb and hold it back just enough so that the sear may be moved freely with a tool of choice. Using a small screwdriver or a pick, flick the sear out of engagement and let it move back into engagement. If it is at all hesitant or does not hit the hammer with a audible noise then the sear spring tension is too low. Simply remove the spring and distort the spring (wrap or un wrap it or bend the legs) in the correct direction for more or less tension. Install and test again. Repeat until the sear flicks reliably and every time with an audible click. That should give you a SAFE tirgger with a reduced trigger pull in the 2 to 3 pound range. Trigger pulls lower in pull force than this in a Buckmark are not safe, in my opinion.

Be SAFE not sorry.

LDBennett

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Actually, it looks like the flip didn't happen until after the problem. In the picture below (while gun was malfunctioning) the sear looks to be in the correct orientation but not "wound up" to provide any tension. The factory orientation is such that the sprinig is wound. Flipping it orients it so the tension is trying to unwind it.

The problem is that the bent leg of the spring isn't where it belongs. That last straight part of the spring is in the 9:00 position in the picture. It should be hooked on the frame beneath the recoil lug.

To do that it needs to rotate clockwise (winding the spring) to roughly the 4:00 position. (OK, mebbe 4:30 or a quarter of five:D ) With either method, the spring needs to be installed while under pressure. If there's no pressure on the spring when you install its pin it won't work.............chim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.