Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have access to some teflon bar stock and was thinking it would be suitable for a recoil buffer in a Buckmark. My black buffer gave up at the last match and I need to replace it. This is very tough material and I see no reason why it wouldn't work but I am not knowledgeable on buffers. Anyone tried making one from other materials? What works best? Thanks, TKG

·
Premium Member
30,682 Posts
I have access to some teflon bar stock and was thinking it would be suitable for a recoil buffer in a Buckmark. My black buffer gave up at the last match and I need to replace it. This is very tough material and I see no reason why it wouldn't work but I am not knowledgeable on buffers. Anyone tried making one from other materials? What works best? Thanks, TKG
Keep in mind that the recoil buffer is designed to absorb recoil. If you use the incorrect material and it withstands the impact of the slide hitting it, but it doesn't absorb the impact then you haven't accomplished anything. Remember that you are dealing with an alloy frame. I think the standard buffer from Brownell's cost is slightly over $3.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That Makes Sense

M2HB thanks for the info on Brownells. I had no idea where to start looking for a new buffer. I was in sort of a rush to get the Buckmark repaired today and did make a buffer from a piece of PVC similiar to the factory buffer material. My Buckmark literally ate the factory buffer which had less than 2500 rounds fired. I test fired 10 rounds for what it was worth and all went ok. What you said about the buffer absorbing recoil makes sense and I'll order one as soon as I can. Thanks for your comments. TKG

·
Premium Member
30,682 Posts
chim came up with the idea to modify a late model BuckMark buffer for the Challenger. I modified it like he described and made another minor change. The material that they use can be easily ground or filed. I don't know what it is made of, but since they are cheap it doesn't pay to take a chance. Brownell's has very fast shipping. Since you have to pay for shipping anyway I would suggest that you make up a list of items that you may need and get them at the same time and save on shipping cost. By the way, the BuckMark has two different buffers, make sure you get the right one. Brownell's has a schematic that you can look at.
I purchased a couple of BuckMark recoil springs for my Challenger and a few buffers. You may want to ask chim what he recommends for spares.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
Just this week I encountered a black buffer failure in an oler pistol (1982 Challenger III). It appears to have died of either old age or had been attacked by some solvent or lube the previous owner used. There were three large pieces and some crumbs inside the pistol when I opened it up. Bronwing has been the best source for parts I've bought.

As you are probably aware, there are two diferent buffers. On pre-2001 pistols they are black. On 2001 and newer (pistols with the plastic firing pin block) the buffers are white.

The black buffers have a "Lego" type extrusion on the one side that locks them into position on the face of the recoil lug. The white ones are just flat, and are somewhat thicker..............chim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.