Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have one of these rifles? I'm looking for a .22 that will kill Grackles at 30 yds. I already have an R-7 and want to see what else is out there before I order an R-9.

There is a lot of info on the internet and opinions seem to swing both ways. Any advice?

·
Registered
12 Posts
lightning XL

Hey,
I've shot both the Xl and the R9 and either one is an excellent choice. I thought the R9 had a smoother cycle and alittle less twang but was going to by the XL because it was so close and I thought the Xl looked nicer and I liked the stock a bit more. Yup I was all set to buy it when Dave at cobra air made me an awesome deal on the rifle I was truly lusting after but thought I couldnt afford An AAs200. Wow I love that rifle! Anyway sorry about the tangent. Either one will not dissapoint you. They are both excellent rifles and will have no problem sniping grackles at 30 yds or farther.You cant go wrong with either.
Good luck
Pete

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
xl is lighter stock for stock...more compact..not as good trigger. No noticible twang....The XL is meant to be a hunting airgun...hard to find the right scope for it too because it has to fall within a certain length.

·
Registered
622 Posts
The XL's are workinghorses; indeed heavy trigger. Bút no twang, véry sturdy cockinglink, nó play. Mine is a .22 12Ftp Tactical. Great looks, great handling, barrelshroud, sling-swivels, very easy to cock and fun to shoot.
Bút annoying 14mm scoperail, ltd scopesize possible.
Finish less than HW
Very hold sensitive many feel.
.177 BSA barrels hard to load.
You considered a Stingray? That the BSA's competitor..

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I have a Lightning XL in .177 caliber.
Before I made a purchase, I, like you was debating between the R9 and the XL.
I decided on the XL and feel I made the right choice for me.
Both are excellent air rifles.
I don`t think you can go wrong with either.
I love the XL plain and simple.
The XL is short, light, rigid, and accurate.
When I fire mine, it sounds sorta like a muted hand stapler clack. No spring twang at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.