Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
They are great shooters in my experience.

Trouble is...every single one I've seen up close has the dreaded Browning Salt Wood. At one point they bought a bunch of wood that had been cured under piles of salt to draw the moisture out. If you pull the stock off one of them you'll find nasty corroded metal.

I wouldn't buy one without pulling the stock off of it.

John

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Made in the late '60s and early '70s in Belgium, these were available in two grades, T1 & T2 with different length barrels and stocks both plain and fancy w/checkering. Some came with open sights, others with receiver mounted aperature (peep) and I've even seen one with what the owner claimed was a factory mounted scope.
The design never took off in the conservative US, and it was discontinued a short time later.
The "salt" problem is the most discouraging thing about these rifles, as the examples I've handled seemed extremely well made, quite a shame.
Prices are all over the place, with some examples bringing nearly $400. to an extremely fine example with XXX+ grade wood-asking price $1500. :eek:
I'd own one in a heartbeat, but not before pulling the stock!
Take care,
warren

·
Registered
22 Posts
T-Bolt

I had 1 in the early 90's, was a T-1, it was a real shooter, light and very handy to carry. I sold it and regretted that so much that in 2000, I found one T-2, at a gun show for $475.00, took a chance and got it. Its a real good shooter also. Neither had the salt wood problem. Only made with 5 shot magazines and now the magazines go for $100.00 each in gun shows, if you can find one. I got an additional magazine for $65.00 off Ebay, but they are not on Ebay very often. It would be one of the very last 22's that I would part with. I agree, that you should take it down and look for rust, if not rusted get it as you won't regret that decision. Screwed in barrel and steel magazines. You can find T-Bolts on Guns America (search for T-bolt in Browning Rifles).
Jim

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've owned three. Two T-1's and a T-2. None of them had salty stocks. I sold them when they became worth much more than I gave for them. I gave $65 each for the T-1's and $200 or so for the T-2. They were all very accurate and made good silhouette rifles or hunting rifles. I restocked one of the T-1's witha a glass-bedded Bishop stock and it was beautiful. I still dream about that one. Good shooting. L.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a T-1 that my dad bought at a garage sale for $50 several years ago. It had exterior rust on the barrel and the salt comments make sense on the rust pattern. I am having it satin reblued and I am going to refinish the stock. Is there anything I need to know about the refinishing process to eliminate the salt?

BTW, the gun shoots great from my informal testing, but once I get it back I will do some formal group shooting and ammo testing in it...

WD

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I had a LH T-2.

Sold it to a buddy (who still has it). No salt problem with that one. I paid $84.50 (Browning retail) for mine in 1971.

I try to buy it back every time I see him.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.