Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI everyone--I put in a Brownells extractor last summer--about $10 cheaper than a VQ--$12.99, here at;
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=0/k=597+extractor/t=P/ksubmit=y/Products/All/search=597_extractor

If I remember right, I'd put about 800 rounds through it with nary a problem as of last fall.

Put another 300 rounds today of mixed American, CCI SV, CCI Velocitor and CCI Minimags.

Still not one hiccup. Supposedly by the Brinnell scale its harder than the stock Rem. but softer than the VQ--but working fine for me so far. Guess it depends on how hard is hard enough.

Right now I have to recommend them--especially if a VQ is ever on BO.

Gotta love these 597's!

· Registered
644 Posts
:bthumb: +1 :yeahthat:

I've done three extractor upgrades of my own, one for my daughter, and about a dozen for friends and customers, and only once did I use the VQ. All the rest are brownells. None have had any issues. They "hook" is a sharper edge than the stock extractor. Not sure how it compares to the VQ, and I THINK the hardness mentioned above is accurate, but I do not remember where or when I heard or read that.

Brownells is a bit cheaper than the VQ, faster shipping from most places, and with all the builds/work I've done, I have not had the displeasure of finding them out of stock.

· Registered
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
:bthumb: +1 :yeahthat:

I've done three extractor upgrades of my own, one for my daughter, and about a dozen for friends and customers, and only once did I use the VQ. All the rest are brownells. None have had any issues. They "hook" is a sharper edge than the stock extractor. Not sure how it compares to the VQ, and I THINK the hardness mentioned above is accurate, but I do not remember where or when I heard or read that.

Brownells is a bit cheaper than the VQ, faster shipping from most places, and with all the builds/work I've done, I have not had the displeasure of finding them out of stock.
I was thinking Brinnell scale, but should have said it was Rockwell scale.

Brownells lists the hardness factors of theirs, VQ lists theirs. Brownells is Rc38-40 of A1 tool steel, VQ is Rc 58-61 of A2 tool steel.
I forget where I saw the lower rating of the Remmy units

· Premium Member
13,307 Posts
01 tool steel at 38-40 is not even close to hard steel but it is harder than brass so should last a long time. As I recall the Remington factory part is similar hardness to the Brownells but the stamped out part is of low quality.

· Registered
1,535 Posts
Remman--what's going on--not using ammo?--are you and yours OK?
i'm doing fine, thanks for asking. I got bit by the 9mm bug...so that's been consuming my range time (and wallet......). However, i plan on taking the ole 597 back out this weekend and using up some of that ammo. Al convinced me :bthumb:

JAB, my stock extractor has worked fine too. Mine is an older rifle, so it may have something to do w/ old vs new. However, now that I say that,it will be my luck that i'll be ordering a new extractor after this weekend

· Registered
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i'm doing fine, thanks for asking. I got bit by the 9mm bug...so that's been consuming my range time (and wallet......). However, i plan on taking the ole 597 back out this weekend and using up some of that ammo. Al convinced me :bthumb:

JAB, my stock extractor has worked fine too. Mine is an older rifle, so it may have something to do w/ old vs new. However, now that I say that,it will be my luck that i'll be ordering a new extractor after this weekend
Uh-Oh--off the reservation with 9mm's? Know the feeling, just picked up a NIB Beretta Steel 1 today! Now I don't know whether to make it a safe queen or shoot it. Of course, I've never yet been able to keep a gun NIB:eek:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.